• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best products for Swirls? Yes i got a black whip_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best products for Swirls? Yes i got a black whip_

my situation:

the car was a bit dirty here, in very bright sunlight as u can see, as bright as it gets here in SoCal.. SO EVERYTHING shows up..

I have used meguiars Deep Crystal system polish b4, n some scratchX before for minor scratches that didnt work very well.. ehh

what do u guys do????

It depends on what you want to do. Of course you want to remove the swirls right? Meguiars ScratchX applied with their applicator pads would do the job. It just takes a little bit of elbow grease. HOw come the right side of your hood looks like it was professionally detailed and the left side doesnt? Hmm, maybe a weird pic.

Comment

thing wit scratchX is that its like a polish no? it will wear down ur clearcoat.. meaning later on ill get even more swirls --- someone correct me if i am incorrect_

and wit the hood, its jus that the sunlight is hittin that area at an angle so u can see ALL those freakin swirls.... =/

Comment

ScratchX is a paint cleaner that can remove your swirls if you put enough passion into applying it. It won't add more swirls to your car. Swirls are basically tiny little hairline scratches in your clearcoat, so you have to remove paint around it to remove them.
        What it means to remove a scratch out of anything
        How to remove swirls by hand

Superior Shine used a gauge to see how much clearcoat certain products removed (all done by machine though). The only times it showed any wear was from sanding down the paint and using Diamond Cut with a wool pad which are the two most agressive ways to remove paint. When he used #83 and Diamond Cut with a foam pad which are both way more agressive than ScratchX, it showed no change on his gauge (the gauge only measures in mm, which means those two processes removed less than .5mm). I'm pretty sure that if your clearcoat isn't thinned from the past, it'll be more than safe to use ScratchX.
        How much paint are you removing?

Comment

Hey Top Coat, thx for submitting the link to the paint thickness thread, it was very informative

Just to comment: The gauge doesn't measure in mm (which is 1/1000th of the metric meter), but in mils (which is 1/1000th of an inch). Thus 1 mil = 0,0254 mm. Though some gauges can measure in both mils and in microns which is 1/1000th of a mm. If you removed 0.5 mm of paint, that would get you well into the metal I was once told that the thickness of sheet metal used for body panels on cars is usually 0.7mm.

jayelleseven > You could try the ScratchX again, this time really working it into the paint. Try it out on a small area, and expect to make several passes (2-3 or more) over the area. If you don't have the patience to do this to the entire car, maybe you should consider stepping up to a machine like the PC, some pads, and then start out with a cleaner/polish like #80, which is quite mild used with the PC.
          "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
          - Back To The Future

Comment

that link was great topdown, imma try it.. thanks :]

n yeah i got some scratchX left n have to use some more 'passion'.. hopefully it will work to remove my buff marks as well_

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');