• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor man's rotary buffer - the drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's rotary buffer - the drill

So here was my problem:

I don't have a rotary buffer; the only thing I have for my PC is an Autoglym polishing pad and a bottle of #9; my truck has some nasty scratches left by a can of crappy Turtlewax rubbing compound and polishing compound (very NON-diminishing).

As you can imagine, the PC's not gonna cut it (literally). I am in the process of getting a rotary, but just can't decide between the Makita and PC 7428.

My solution? Make my own rotary I took the pad that came with the PC and clamped it into a Craftsman 4.5 amp 2500 rpm drill. Now you might think the speed is a little too fast, but with such a weak motor (compared to rotaries) and high gearing, it can barely spin over 1000 rpm at about 3/4 power with the pad on. So, with a bottle of #2, I started rotary buffing on my fairly new black truck. I know, not a best way to start, but I though since the drill is fairly weak, it's not as dangerous as a real rotary.

The result? Surprisingly good!

All but a few of the deepest scratches left by the rubbing compound are completely gone. I started at about 500 - 600 rpm, 1/2 throttle on the drill, and progressed about 1200 rpm by my guess @ 3/4 power. I was really satisfied with the results and did some other panels; took out a lot of scratches I got while off roading. After going over the truck again with the PC and #9 to get rid of some light holograms, I was left with a better finish than I was ever able to get with the PC alone.

So I guess as a backup / emergency solution, a drill works pretty good on scratches compared to the PC. Still not a long term solution though. As you can imageine, a drill is not very easy to control, and the rpms are controlled only by feel rather than an accurate speed control. The drill also got really hot - it just doesn't have the power for stuff like this.

The results though, are an inspiration for me to get a real rotary.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');