• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waxing and "buffing" with pledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxing and "buffing" with pledge

A forum that I am a member of has a thread about this kid "waxing" his car with pledge. I cant come up wiht reasons not to do it other then its mad for wood. Can someone give me a short writeup or soemthing of why this is a terrible idea?? That would be great.

Pledge? Are you serious? I know a kid that uses windex on his whole car (including paint) to wash it.

Let me tell you why its a terrible idea:

It's for wood. Nuff said.

Comment

I don't know of any chemical reasons why a person can't do this as far as will the ingredients in the Pledge harm an automotive finish.

I don't use Pledge myself on anything as my wife Lynn uses Meguiar's furniture polish our our finished wood furniture but if I remember correctly, Pledge is somewhat oily and stays wet on the surface unless completely wiped off. --> If <-- this is the case then his paint will trap dirt, dust and other airborne contaminants onto the surface that will get ground into the paint when the vehicle is washed.

Does that help?

Outside of that, there's this...

"Find something you like and use it often"

It's difficult if not impossible to change people and usually not a good idea to try, if this person has found something he likes then maybe leave him alone?

Or, if you're ever around him show him your favorite recipe for polishing paint and let him see the results and maybe he'll change his mind based upon the performance and results created by the products you use?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SL1CK

It's for wood. Nuff said.

Most wood furniture is painted, that is it's coated with clear lacquer paint.

Seriously, I don't think Pledge will harm the paint, I've been at car shows where I've seen people spray their car's finish with Pledge to make it look wet if I remember correctly.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: waxing and "buffing" with pledge

Originally posted by Bedinabox
          A forum that I am a member of has a thread about this kid "waxing" his car with pledge. I cant come up wiht reasons not to do it other then its mad for wood. Can someone give me a short writeup or soemthing of why this is a terrible idea?? That would be great.
          This is the only post I was able to locate about Pledge (short on time right now). Mike doesn't get into the technical points, but just states not to use it.

Hope it helps..

Lemon Pledge on a car?
          Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

I would just think it would be bad because of how oily it is and doesnt it bring out like "oils" or something that wood has inside of it? But if it works for him...

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');