• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car, help with waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car, help with waxing

I just picked up a new Sonata last weekend, and want to get a coat of wax on the whole thing to help combat these NY winters. I am not looking for a perfect look, just something to keep the paint protected as long as I can. Any suggestions on wax product and frequency? Also, is there an easy way to wax the more hidden places such as hinges to help protect them?

Thanks,

Eric

Is it a brand new car, or new to you? Give us some info and also what condition the paints in, and I'm sure we steer you in the right direction.

Take a look at this, it will atleast get you started..

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Isnt it summer in NY?

At anyrate, be sure to give these couple articles a good read over, so you at least understand the full process.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Now, it doesnt sound like you have a lot of time to invest in car care, so let me give you a couple quick ideas. You can do a process like this quite easily:

1. Wash - Gold Class or Nxt Wash. Use the two-bucket method, with a Grit Guard.

2. Clay - Clay the surface with Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

3. ColorX - Great cleaner/wax for a quick detail.

4. Wax - #21 Synthetic Sealant.

I would swing past Autodetailingsolutions.com, and check out the 5 products mentioned above, and any sponges/drying towels/microfiber cloths you may need. You'll probably end up saving money that way if you do it now, while the towels are still on sale. The sale might end soon.

1. Gold Class Wash or Nxt Wash
      2. Grit Guard
      3. Smooth Surface CLay Kit
      4. ColorX
      5. #21 Sample Size
      6 Water Magnet Drying Towel - 3-pack
      7. Supreme Shine MF Towel - 3-Pack
      8. Meguiars Wash Mit

As far as frequency, it can be hard to say. Is your car kept outside, near heavy industries, rail tracks? Lots of rain? All will make you have to detail more frequently.

And no, hinges are hard to reach, and usualy greasy anyway.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You could get away with claying once or twice a year, maybe begining of summer, end of fall. And just apply ColorX / #21 end of summer, end of winter.

That way you would really only have four details a year, and quicker ones. Then just wash in between.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

This is a brand new car, 2006 Sonata. Paint appears to be in great shape, although it is a January built car. Yes it is summer here now, well maybe late spring, which is why I want to start taking care of it now. As soon as winter hits you can see the salt eating away the cars. As I said before, I do not really care to have a showroom shine all the time, just knowing that the paint is well protected is enough. Obviously a good detailing during January is not possible for me to do myself, which is why I am looking for recommendations that will last through winter.

By the way, my dining room table is now filled up with all sorts of products mentioned here, even got the claying kit to try on my 2000 Jeep XJ and my g/f's 2001 CRV.

Thanks,

Eric
          Last edited by ebishop; Jun 9, 2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');