• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patchy paint work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patchy paint work

I cleaned my Mum's Ford Ka today (small hatchback, for the Stateside folk).

- First I washed it with GC shampoo then dried with a microfibre towel
    - Then I clayed it from top to bottom.
    - I then rewashed it quickly to get all the detailer spray/clay off.
    - Finally I waxed it with GC liquid wax

It was a hot day and I left the wax on for about 15 minutes. When I removed it the paintwork was looking a bit patchy, only visible in fairly bright light. At this stage I'll mention that while I was claying some yellow was coming off on to the bar but I assumed that it was just the usual contaminates as I didn't believe the clay to be at all harmful to any paint finish.

I was hoping this patchiness could just be down to the fact that it was a very hot day and the wax was very stubborn.

However any advice would be very helpful.

OPn a positive note, I clayed the wheels after cleaning, removing all contaminates and they've come up really well!

How much product was applied per panel? More or less than a nickel size worth? To me it sounds like their could of been too much product on the paint. This is a real common situation when it's hot, humid, or over applied. Next time apply it small sections at a time (2x2 ft section) with a foam applicator pad or cotton terry towel. Work in a nickel size worth of product into the section until it becomes a film/haze then wipe off the excess product with a cotton terry towel. The key to avoiding the oily, blotchy, and streaky look is to apply it in small amounts and in a cool area. Also seal it with a wax, if it's going to be exposed to the elements with heat and humidity the polishing olis tend to resurface to the top giving you the oily look.

Comment

Okay, thanks for that. So you think it was the wax then I guess. I did think it was unusual that yellow colouring was coming off on to the clay bar though since black colouring has never come from my Civic. I probably did apply too much wax, I was doing the waxing as the light was starting to fade so it was harder to see what parts I had done.

Have I done any permanent damage to the paintwork or will this blotchy look go the next time it's washed?
      Last edited by GreeceLightning; Jun 10, 2006, 11:42 AM.

Comment

It will eventually evaporate or you can remove the excess product by reapplying a very small amount, working it thoroughly till it becomes a thin film, and wiping it off while it's still fresh.

Originally posted by GreeceLightning
        Okay, thanks for that. So you think it was the wax then I guess. I did think it was unusual that yellow colouring was coming off on to the clay bar though since black colouring has never come from my Civic. I probably did apply too much wax, I was doing the waxing as the light was starting to fade so it was harder to see what parts I had done.

Have I done any permanent damage to the paintwork or will this blotchy look go the next time it's washed?

Comment

Ah cheers, I have a day off later in the week (working tomorrow ) so I'll tackle it then.

Can I just ask about the clay thing as well though as it's been playing on my mind. Generally when I've used it on my black Civic once the contaminates have been removed the bar looks kinda black, which as far as I'm aware is the norm. Why in this case has it collected yellow muck?

Comment

I myself have never had yellow come off from claying unless it was paint overspray.

Originally posted by GreeceLightning
            Ah cheers, I have a day off later in the week (working tomorrow ) so I'll tackle it then.

Can I just ask about the clay thing as well though as it's been playing on my mind. Generally when I've used it on my black Civic once the contaminates have been removed the bar looks kinda black, which as far as I'm aware is the norm. Why in this case has it collected yellow muck?

Comment

Hmmm I guess it could've been overspray. It hadn't been clayed before so possibly.

But there's no chance the clay could've harmed the paint work, I guess that's really what I'm trying to establish?

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');