• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Question: newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Question: newbie

I have a couple questions about detailing my car..
    i have bought meguirs paint cleaner, a spray on wax and some scratch-x

i am also going 2 apply touch up paint very soon 2 my car

this is what i was told 2 do

first wash my car, put on the touch up paint, use scratch-x where i can (applied by a foam applicator pad?)

then i was told i could not spray on the quick wax because it would mess up the touch up paint
    i was told i could put in the paint cleaner w/ out harming anything

can some one tell me if this is right? and what does the paint cleaner actually do?

also: is the spray on wax actually a wax?

Well, first you need some general info about the overall process. Give these a read, trying to get as much understanding as possible...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Now, your spray wax is a wax, but it is not a replacement for a coat of a liquid or paste wax. A spray wax is something you would use after washing, just to give a quick going over to get that fresh waxed look. You are going ot want to get a regular wax to use.

How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes

Now, as far as dealing with touch up paint...

1. Wash your car.
    2. You can use ScratchX on everything, but it is a good bit of work. Dont plan to do it all in one day.
    3. Wax your car, avoiding areas to be touched up. Just keep wax away from the scratches.
    4. Go out and get a tiny, good quality brush from a craft store.
    5. Lightly fill in the scrach with touch up paint. Just one coat. Dont try and glob it in all at once. The paint will shrink as it dries over the next few days.
    6. After several days, come back and apply a second coat.
    7. After several days, apply a third coat, if needed, etc.

Let the touch up paint dry for about 60 days. Then you can clean, polish, and wax over those spots as well.

Keep the spray wax away from the touch-up paint as well, so dpending on how many spots you have, you might not want to use it just yet after washing.
    Last edited by Murr1525; Jun 11, 2006, 07:18 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

is it safe to apply the paint cleaner wax all over after the touch up paint is done?

Comment

The touch-up paint will take about 60-90 days to fully dry. After that, you can use your regular paint cleaners, polishes, waxes all over, and on the new paint.

Comment

i was told that i could use meguirs paint cleaner wax after applying the touch up paint because its "clear coat safe"..i called the hotline...can someone clear this up?

also i can touch up and use scratch-x correct?

also when applying touch up paint..i have 2 get primer, the paint, and clear coat right?

where can i buy primer?

Comment

Well, that is correct. But you bought scratchX, which is somewhat agressive and needs worked in to be effective. I wouldnt want you to vigourously rub over fresh paint. Could mark it or rub it out.

As far as primer, you can if you want, esp if scratch is down to the metal. I dunno where is best to get it. Regular auto-parts store, or PBE type store?

You can track down local PBE stors with this link:

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

Comment

correct me if i didnt understand ur reply...

but i dont plan 2 use the scratch-x on the touchups...or is that another way 2 fully touch up a scratch?

thanks for your good advice

Comment

ScratchX is for scratches in the clear coat. The scratch you are talking about goes all the way to the primer, am I right? ScratchX wouldn't fix that. How bout just not using it on that spot. Where in Texas are you?

Comment

houston

Comment

What part?

Comment

Cypress..

N. Side

u?

Comment

Nside too, Antoine n Veterans...not far from Cypress n Willowbrook...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');