• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claying vs. DC#1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying vs. DC#1

hey guys, just looking for a quick and dirty answer here - if you have thoroughly washed/clayed a car that hasnt been clayed before, is it still worthwhile to run the car over with some DC#1 before polishing/waxing it?

at this point i have washed/clayed/washed the car, and im planning on going to #7/NXT Wax afterwords, but given the car hasnt been thoroughly cleaned before, im wondering if using DC#1 would give me any worthwhile results.

thanks!

Clay removes contaminatnts on the surface. A cleaner removes dirt in the pores.

It is up to you how important that is. If you are looking to cut steps, probably a cleaner/wax is your best option.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would do both, as the DC#1 sets up the next step in "the process"!
      Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
      Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

I originally thought that DC1 was unnecessary after claying. On a whim, I bought some DC1, however, and all I can say is -- WOW -- it's a great product. A go-to product for me. It deepened the paint, and removed a bunch of swirlies . . . definitely worth trying out!

Comment

I would really recommend DC1 after clay, then a polish/glaze, then a wax.
          2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

yup, went ahead and used the DC#1 anyways, im glad i did. was more of a time constraint than anything. thanks!

Comment

The only time I've skipped DC#1 was after using ScratchX on the entire truck.

I figured SX was a complete cleaner, and no need to kill my arms any more than nessisary...
              Troy - TSR6

Comment

Originally posted by miked2
                I originally thought that DC1 was unnecessary after claying. On a whim, I bought some DC1, however, and all I can say is -- WOW -- it's a great product. A go-to product for me. It deepened the paint, and removed a bunch of swirlies . . . definitely worth trying out!
                Did u work in the DC1? Was it by hand or by PC? Were the swirls bad?

Comment

Did u work in the DC1? Was it by hand or by PC? Were the swirls bad?
                  I worked in the DC1 quite thoroughly by orbital buffer, using a polishing pad at mid to high speed. This was on our Saab 9-3. Originally we had little or no swirls -- it's a 2004 with 12K miles on it. However, the top malfunctioned, and the dealer felt so bad about it that he threw in a complete interior/exterior detail for free. It was a nice gesture, but the interior smelled like strong chemical cleaners for weeks (literally had to drive with the window cracked open because the smell was so bad). The exterior originally looked fantastic, but then after I washed the car, it was swirl city. Everywhere. I was really bummed.

I think that the swirls weren't that deep, however. After claying, they were still there (which makes sense). But after DC1, I would say that 90+% were removed. I was a little suspect of hearing that DC1 doesn't contain any abrasives, based on this experience -- and was relieved later to learn that DC1 does indeed contain some abrasives!

I would start out with DC1, and if that doesn't work, start going progressively more aggressive through the products in the professional line. There are little arrows on the front label that show how aggressive the products are. I don't have any experience with Meg's professional polish/cleaner combos, but definitely others on this board have. DC1, however, is an incredibly great value -- something like $5 I think?

Comment

with DC1 by hand, if you plan to remove swirls, it will really take a great amount of 'passion'. ColorX/ScratchX would ease the job, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');