• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

claying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• claying

How often can you clay a vehicle and not hurt the paint? It seems after you do all the steps the smoothness doesnt stay but about three weeks not as smooth as glass.. Also will scratch x remove swirls by hand or do i need a buffer and if i need a buffer is there a cheaper one than the g100 that will do the job. I have a new black truck it looks great except for the occasional swirl marks that the dealer put in. Or am i being to perfectionist.
    Last edited by rodney1234; Jun 21, 2006, 03:33 PM.

No such thing as a perfectionist around here. Though a realist is ok.

How often you need to clay can depend on many things. If you live near factories, train tracks, other industries that might be putting heavier pollutants in the air. Stuff falling off trees like sap, etc. People being careless painting. Etc, etc.

Which wax are you using? How often are you washing?

All you may need is to use a Quick Detailer/Speed Detailer, or a spray wax after washing to get the slickness back.

How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes

As far as swirl removal, yes, ScratchX can do it by hand. It is a pain though. Here are some links on how to do it:

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Now, you will get better results, and quicker/easier with the G-100. Here are some liks for it:

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

And to make sure you have what you need for a new car:

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i used the clay the deep crystal paint cleaner the deep crystal polish and the nxt wax I tried the spray wax after i washed the truck one day and it was very hard to get off i may not have let it dry good enough because it looked like it was gonna rain it seemed to smear and took a lot of pressure to remove i am gonna try it this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Yes, Nxt Wax gives me very similar results. Keeps a nice shine, but seems to lose its slickness.

I have switched to #21, which seems to stay slick longer. But your environment could change that as well, if lots of stuff lands on the car, etc.

Comment

I'm about to detail a car that was parked in a paint shop. The car is shiny and all but upon closer inspection and touching, it is covered with paint dust (overspray?). Is this a job for claying or merely compounding? Please advise. What's the best approach to this? Thanks.

Comment

Claying is the first step no matter what, and is also good for overspray. Espeacialy fresh overspray.

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Re: claying

Originally posted by rodney1234
                How often can you clay a vehicle and not hurt the paint?
                Claying is non-abrasive. It simply removes the bonded contaminants from the surface of the paint and "eats" them. As far as I know, using plenty of lubricant (like QD) you could clay forever.

- Ben

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');