• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Thickness Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Thickness Gauge

How many of you use a Paint Thickness Gauage when detailing with a machine polisher? Have recently started using one, find it invaluable for pre-chekcing a car and during the polishing stages to keep myself safe... Are they popular with you?
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

I would love to have one. But as just an owner - user, I can't justify the cost. Now if I could find a great deal on E-bay or something I would grab one.

Comment

Re: Paint Thickness Gauge

I'm trying to find a paint thickness guage that is resonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Huggett View Post
        I'm trying to find a paint thickness guage that is resonably priced.
        There is a model that is $200. Highline I think?

Comment

I always use one, It helps tell the story of the Vehicles life, almost like when your Doctor looks at your vital signs.

Comment

I have a High line.Nice meter.

Comment

The ETG-Mini may be somthing to look into.
              Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

I had three and sold two. I almost never use them. Maybe once or twice a year if that and I am a full time detailer.
                Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I've never used one...I've thought about getting one, but as a part time detailer now, I just can't justify the cost.

That and the fact that I rarely know the history of a vehicle when it comes to me. So all the guage can tell me is what I removed right? It can't really tell me how much clear is left, or color if it were single stage.

An example would be the '68 Corvette I have on the books for next month. It was a respray 2 years ago and has been wet-sanded and buffed shorty after it was painted. Inspection of the paint showed lots of wet sanding marks still remain and heavy holograms. Owner wants it looking like new and it will need a lot of correction to bring back to life. I asked the owner how many coats of clear were used and he had no idea.

So really all I can do is make the owner aware of the risk, be careful, take my time, and hope for the best. A PTG would do nothing...

Rasky
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Whenever FMINUS publishes one of his details, he always includes a photo of the paint gauge results. I have to admit it's pretty cool. See, for example, this article.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

I wouldn't mind owning one if a good one came along at the right price. My wife and I keep our cars for 10 years. We purchase them 5 years apart so we always have just one car payment.

I like to try and keep my cars looking good. Now since I joined MOL and bought a G110 I need to pace myself so I don't over polish my black Camry. It would be nice to chart and keep a record of the paint thickness so I don't go through the clear in 5 or 6 years.

Mike
                      Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');