• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hook and loops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook and loops

I was wondering if the hook and loop pads are any good? I purchased one. But I haven't used it yet. And what pad is good to remove swirl remarks.

Re: Hook and loops

Originally posted by chevyman2001
    I was wondering if the hook and loop pads are any good? I purchased one. But I haven't used it yet. And what pad is good to remove swirl remarks.
    Just to clarify, when you say hook and loop pads, whose are you referring to? A number of companies use the words hook and loop for both their pads and their backing plates as it has to do with the Velcro system of attaching the pad to the backing plate.

As to your other question,

Originally posted by chevyman2001
    And what pad is good to remove swirl remarks.
    That depends on what put the swirls in, your chemical, paint hardness, (or softness), your machine of choice, rotary buffer or PC?

A Meguiar's W-9000 pad on a rotary buffer with some #9 will remove light swirl, but it probably won't remove the kind of buffer swirls instilled by a wool pad and a coarse cutting compound.

We need more information.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think the swirls where made by drying the car with a towel. When I mean hook and loop I mean by you put the pad on and you tie it. I read that a wool pad can leave marks. I bought a pad from Lowes that is a hook and loop. It is for polishing.

Comment

Personally,

For what you're doing. I would take the wool pad back and either get some kind of foam pad or your money back.

Each of the wool fibers puts its own cut or scratch into your finsih. This is often where buffer swirl comes from.

Wool buffing pads are great for body shops when technicians want to use them with a compound to remove their sanding marks, but for general detailing of your car's finish, you should avoid them.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');