• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mothers back to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers back to black

Mothers makes a product called back to black that is an exterior trim protectant for all vineyl and rubber. Does meguiars make a product comprable to this?
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

yes indeed, it is Gold Class trim detailer. I used mother's as well but I found out that it will wash away with rain as well as during regular wash.
    Last edited by romulus; Jun 26, 2006, 05:23 AM.
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by romulus
      yes indeed, it is Gold Class trim detailer. I used mother's as well but I found out that it will wash away with rain as well as during regular wash.
      Just ordered some of this as I have not been able to find it locally...can't wait to try it....
      Bill Poirier
      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

#38 is also a good choice

Comment

Really, any of the trim dressings will bring the black/gray look back. None of them are permanent, but it lasts pretty good.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I use Nxt Tech Protect . . . I like the look on exterior trim . . . . applied really thick and then let to dry, it lasts pretty long. Also very easy to clean up with QD if it gets on your paint.

Comment

I use the 'Back to Black' to take dried wax residue off of rubber/plastic trim pieces. It does a good job doing this, and I have never found anything else that did. Will the Meguiars product do this as well? I like Mothers stuff next to Meguiars, in general. If I can't get M's spray detailer, Mothers is just as good, I've found. However when it comes to wax, nothing beats Gold Class--verdict still out on Nxt Gen, (however, it looks good on my '06 black Vette) in comparison to GC.

Mike

Comment

I've used Nxt Tech Protect to remove #26 wax residue from black plastic/vinyl trim . . . .

Comment

ASD is tough to beat as a dressing for tires and trim. I finally tried it out, as per Tim's (2hotford) suggestion/pics, and it is a wonderful product!

Comment

I still have a bottle of Back to Black in my collection.

From what I understood on their forum, btb is a restorer, not a protector. It is meant to have another product on top of it, therefore it will leak if left alone in the rain.

You apply it by working it in the faded trim, wait a few minutes, buff the excess, let dry and then put another product to actually protect and shine that trim.

I used it once on my black bumpers which were turning grey. Since then, every week I put Mothers Protectant on them.

I recently bought a bottle of Meg's Trim Detailer, I'll try it on these bumpers next autumn.

Comment

In my experience, Meg's Trim Detailer takes the wax residue off. I don't recall the Back-to-Black doing that. It seemed to cover it up.

Comment

Trim Detailer is great stuff. Try using a foam paint brush for appling it, let it dry, and then wipe of excess with a MF. It will take of wax residue, but it takes more scrubbing than just the foam brush provides. This stuff is very reasonable price wise. A bottle will go a long ways. Do make sure the nozzle is clear of product before storing it or it will plug up.
                        Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

Comment

Skuz--interesting on the BTB. Never knew you were supposed to put something else on. While I am VERY careful with the Vette getting wax off of trim, I'm not so anal with the Jeep. I use the BTB there and it does either take it off or cover it up, but either way it's gone. I'll use some protecterant from now on...and I will give the Meguiar's stuff a try when I'm out of BTB.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');