• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

son scoured car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• son scoured car

Gents:

Ok the story is irrelevant however I now have a car that looks like the inside of an aluminim saucepan after being hit with a 3M scouring pad... fortunately a medium on. 8 year old son decided to wash the car.....

However I would really like some information on how to get these out.. I have read all the detailing and have most of the products, Scratch X is not doig the job and I am now contemplating a more abrasive soltion.

He has managed to give me a uniform finish over the whole car and didnt miss anything much..

I am not sure how deep these things go but the device was a 3m scourer the green one if that helps.

Ideas and a step by step solution... Now I am in Aus and not sure what to get we seem to have products, diamond cut, Medium cut, Swirl remover etc. I have the 3 step cleaning system and the gold canubra wax.. but none of the abrasive products. I do have a rotary buffing machine as well with all the pads.

Please help... the car is 10 years old and as fars as I know does not have a clear coat over the top..

Regards

Hi,

You will need to get some abrasive products such as number 84 or 85 most likely and a wool pad. You can try using much less i.e. #80, #83, #84... Eventually, you should find something that will remove the scratches.

If you cannot remove them with the Porter Cable, you will need a rotory, which takes a great deal of skill.

Another option is wet sanding with unigrit sandpaper.

It all depends on the type of paint, thinkness of paint, condition of paint, hardness of paint, and how deep the scratches are.

Start with less and work your way up in weakest strength to highest strenght. However, I doubt #80 or #83 will removee heavy scour marks. How is your clearcoat? Is your clearcoat okay?

How about some pictures.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I will post pictures tonight my time so we can all have a look..

I do not believe my car has a clear coat as it is 10 years old and about 8 years ago was damaged by hail and repaired. I do not believe a new clear cost was put on...The whole car was re-sprayed.

I am not sure what you mean by #80 and #83... I do understand the diamon cut, medium cut , swirl remover etc.. I will look for what you mean though..

I am experienced with a rotary and have several 100 hours on boats, polishing that is... So I am not afraid of them or the effort required.

I will post some images of the car tonight my time, about 5 hours from now and then seek further advise..

Thanks so much so far please keep an eye out and comment when pictures are posted I would appreciate it.

Comment

Just an update, rang my repairer from years ago,, he is a family friend and professional panelbeater. The car was resprayed with a 2 pack paint with hardner and then clear coated over the top so if this helps with a solution.

Comment

The good thing is that it has a clear coat, so you have something to work with.

Comment

I would look for competent professional detailer in your area. This type of repair should not be attempted by a novice(It almost certainly needs to be polished with a rotary), and the cost of the supplies and equipment required would be far higher than the cost of a proper repair.
            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Re: son scoured car

Originally posted by Bob556
              I do have a rotary buffing machine as well with all the pads.

Regards

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Check out this thread, scroll down a ways and you'll find an outline for product to use and order to use them.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob556
                Thanks for that.

I will post pictures tonight my time so we can all have a look..

I do not believe my car has a clear coat as it is 10 years old and about 8 years ago was damaged by hail and repaired. I do not believe a new clear cost was put on...The whole car was re-sprayed.

I am not sure what you mean by #80 and #83... I do understand the diamon cut, medium cut , swirl remover etc.. I will look for what you mean though..

I am experienced with a rotary and have several 100 hours on boats, polishing that is... So I am not afraid of them or the effort required.

I will post some images of the car tonight my time, about 5 hours from now and then seek further advise..

Thanks so much so far please keep an eye out and comment when pictures are posted I would appreciate it.
                You know, the first time I replied to this post, this, as well as the 2 postings below this were completely missing. With that mind, please disregard my first response(can't seem to edit it any longer) and go ahead and take a look at the link Mike posted.

Good luck
                I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Any chance your finish looks something like this? Over the past several months I've restored a few finishes scoured by kitchen scrub pads!

Sorry no after pix, just befores.

From another angle

Restored using M83 and M84 on a rotary buffer with W7006 pads

This looks similar but scuffed by a car cover

Restored using M83 with a PC and W8006 pad
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807
                  toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Yikes. How did a car cover do so much damage?

Comment

The MINI was only a few months old, but the owner lived on a ranch in New Mexico and said it was VERY windy. She bought a cover thinking she could protect the finish not realizing the damage she was causing with the cover!

Originally posted by davisinla
                      Yikes. How did a car cover do so much damage?
                      Richard Lin
                      ShowCarDetailing
                      5548 E. La Palma Ave
                      Anaheim, CA 92807
                      toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');