• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd coat of NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd coat of NXT

I just waxed my car with DC-1, DC-2 and NXT tech wax. All together it took around 3-4 hours.

I plan to let my car to sit in a closed garage for about 20 hours and apply another coat of NXT tomorrow morning.

Question: I don"t really feel like washing my car again before the 2nd coat. Can I just wipe off the dust with a moist cotton cloth?

Hey,

To be honest, I would wash it again. Wiping off even slight dust can sometimes cause swirl marks. Moreover, water on a towel can also cause towel marks. I know it can be a pain to rewash, but I would. But that is just me. I know others that will use a California Car Duster, then a MF towel with a QD.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I'd pull a dry soft terrycloth towel over the surface with no pressure. There should be little dust on it if it was garaged for a day and this toweling should remove any that did settle on it. The surface should be super slick after yesterday's NXT application and the dust should slide right off.

You need to determine just how much dust has accumulated though. It it looks like a lot then wash or QD.
      Last edited by jfelbab; Jun 12, 2004, 07:55 AM.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

OK. I will check tomorrow. If there is little dust, I will use a microfibre cloth to slightly wipe the car down.

If there is a lot of dust, I will wash the car again.

Now, by washing, should I do a quick rinse using only water or should I use NXT car wash?

Comment

Protectall QEW=perfect in this scenario

Comment

AIRGUN. Blow off all the loose and fine dust particles.
            Mercedes-Benz:
            1987 190E 2.6 -Champagne
            1991 300SEL -Smoke Silver
            1992 190E 2.6 -Smoke Silver
            1992 400E -White
            1992 SE300 -Silver

Comment

Jeez, I thought I was anal about washing!

When I waxed my Lincoln, I washed it the previous evening and pulled in into my garage. It sat there overnight and I polished and waxed it the next morning.

I didn't rewash the car after it sat overnight. Rather, I just wiped it down with a moist towel and started to polish.

BTW, is it normal to go through DC1, DC2 and Tech wax in four hours? That seems so fast to me. I took me 3.5 hours just to polish my car. I'm doing mine by hand, btw.

Comment

Hey tgara

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Anal about washing? If a person is aiming for a swirl free finish and having it brought to its Maximum Potential, washing a car again the next day is not a big deal. Moreover, if one is putting on a second coat of a Last Step Product - ie. a final wax and/or Polymer ( as is the case in the original post) then all of the polishing and glazing stages are already completed. Therefore, it is at the finishing stage where swirls or micro-marring may be re-introduced into the surface.

It is may not be as important to re-wash if the only thing that was done was to wash the vehicle the night before as you will be polishing/glazing/waxing and/or sealing the next day. Assuming of course that the car has been garaged over night. That way, any minor marring introduced from wiping down the finish, will probably be removed anyway.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yesterday I did the NXT car wash, DC-1, DC-2 and NXT in about 4 hours, all by hand. Since I did not wait for DC-1 and DC-2 to haze, they're quite easy to be taken off.

I then kept the car inside a closed garage for about 20 hours. As for the 2nd coat of NXT, I checked the car this morning and there is only little dust on it. I wiped it down carefully with a microfibre towel and applied the 2nd coat of NXT. This time, it took me about 1.5 hours.

I did not take the car outside to check under the sun but inside the garage, it looks great and it's super slick to the touch.

Comment

I just finished doing the same.I went over my truck with quick detailer between coats of nxt.Have fun.

Comment

Yesterday I did the NXT car wash, DC-1, DC-2 and NXT in about 4 hours, all by hand.
                      Mini Cooper, right?

Comment

Yesterday I did the NXT car wash, DC-1, DC-2 and NXT in about 4 hours, all by hand.
                        Mini Cooper, right?
                        Prob a burbo (Suburban)!!

Comment

It's a 2004 CLK, silver.

For DC-1, and DC-2, I just apply and wipe, one sectiion at a time. It took me 4 hours, maybe 4.5 hours to finish the whole job.

I called a local detailer and they told me that it would take about 2 hours to strip, polish and wax a car. I don't think they would put more than 2 people on the job.

Anyway, I hope I did not miss anything.

Comment

What products would the detail shop use? I think you're better of doing it yourself. 4-4.5 hours is pretty good time.

Comment

Don't forget the 1.5 hours I spent the next mroning to apply the 2nd coat of NXT tech wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');