• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay question

Hi all
    Was wondering if it is ok to start claying right after washing the car, with the car still wet, or should I dry it first?
    Thanks
    Thom
    1998 Cavalier Z24
    An American revolution....Chevrolet
    Southern Pacific Lines
    California Republic

Well, it depends.

When I clay, I wash thecar, then rinse, then begin claying. Maybe every panel or two, as the car seems to dry a little, I will re-hose everything. Then at the end I will dry everything. Keep in mind that this way will use a bit more water, and that I am not out in the hottest sun/temperatures in the world, and not very hard water.

If you are in a hot environment, or where water spotting is a problem, then that would probably not be the best way to do it. You would be best to wash and dry, then simple clay panel by panel, using a Supreme Shine to wipe up excess Quick Detailer along the way.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I usually wash and dry before claying. I am doing a detail tonight, I might jump right to clay and just mix QD in with the bit of water that is left to try and save time. We'll see how it goes.
      -Brian
      2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

I do both. If the car is already clean, then I will clay it when it's dry using Quik Detailer for lubricant. If I need to wash it and clay it, I might clay it it while it's still wet and use the water from the windshield as lubricant. Just wipe the clay on the water on the windshield and continue claying. I dry as I work each section, or others may just wash it a second time.

Water isn't as slippery as Quik Detailer when claying but it works ok.

Richard
        Richard Lin
        ShowCarDetailing
        5548 E. La Palma Ave
        Anaheim, CA 92807
        toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

I should add that even though I hose the car and keep it somewhat wet, I do use the QD spray as usual.

Comment

oops, I didn't word my question right, I meant to say, mix the remaining water on the car with the QD. Spray the QD right on the water, then clay it.
            1998 Cavalier Z24
            An American revolution....Chevrolet
            Southern Pacific Lines
            California Republic

Comment

Yes, that is what I do.. keep the car wet, but spray the QD on as well like you normaly would.

Comment

I normally wash, dry, and then clay. I guess I have hard water over here and I wouldn't want it to sit there in hot Texas weather and spot all over my cars finish. I'd rather dry it to eliminate that chance and then clay.

Comment

Yes the "clay as you wash" method is really only valid if you're working in the shade and the ambient temperature isn't so great that water is drying faster than you can comfortably work around it.

Like any process, if there's a chance of water spotting or any additional work might be caused by a "shortcut", then by all means, reconsider the method! LOL

Originally posted by SL1CK
                  I normally wash, dry, and then clay. I guess I have hard water over here and I wouldn't want it to sit there in hot Texas weather and spot all over my cars finish. I'd rather dry it to eliminate that chance and then clay.
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807
                  toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

I wash the car as usual and rinise the car then I re-wash the car to get it soapy.

While soapy, I will clay a large area that is soapy for the second time. At this point, the rest of the car is still wet and drying.

Now, I rinse teh soapy mess and quickly respray the entire car then I re-sope another area and go.

Finally, I dry the entire car after a final rinse.

This method works wonderful. Just be sure to use the proper soap. I have found highly concentrated gold class works great.

Basically, I take a gallon bottle of water and fill it about half full. Thhen I put in 4 5 capfuls of gold class soap. I have found Gold class to be slippery.

Now, I just liberly pour it over the area I am going to work. It is much more highly concentrated than my wash waterer and you don't need a wash mittt or spounch, so you avoid inflicting swirls.

Just put a few capfuls in the container and refill to mix it then dump some over the paint and clay that area while dumping. You will go through a lot more soap than normal this way, but 1 oz of Gold Class soap is cheaper than a bottle of Quik Detailer. Besides, you can get soap in 5Qt bottles according to another forum member.

Comment

any problems using Final Inspection instead of quik detailer?

Comment

None.

You can use any detailing spary you want with it just about.

Sometimes some soaps will cause the clay to start breaking apart. This is no good when it becomes play doh consistency.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');