• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Least Abrasive #3 or #80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Abrasive #3 or #80

Which is the least abrasive #3 or #80
    I what to Jewell my finish so what would be best.
    Would colorx be milder then 3 or 80
    I know that changing pad can effect this but if I use the same type pad what product is the mildest
    Black Bart

#3 rates a 1 on the aggressive scale and is listed with the pure polishes on the Meg's web site.

#80 rates a 4 on the same scale.

I'd say #3 is less abrasive.

Let me do some diggin for ColorX

Comment

I'm looking for as mild a product as I can find. My paint is in perfect condition and I don't think I can make it any better but I keep trying. Last week before the car show I used #3 with a LC black pad on my PC that pad is really soft and it did a good job after the #3 I used another black pad and NXT then waited 24 hours and topped it with Souveran paste wax. The judge at the show said that he needed sun glasses that my car was blinding him. I won best in class that was all years of Corvettes.
      I like the depth that the carnuba provides but would like to try for more shine. The car has 8 coats of clear so that gives it much more depth but just always want more. Would like to hear from you experts on what you believe would get the maximum gloss.
      My car is black I have used #7 also 3m Imperial hand glaze under the wax all work very well but I want more. Anyone have any ideas I'm all ears.
      Black Bart

Comment

The pure polishes (#3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal #2) are all functionally nonabrasive on automotive paint, even soft black lacquer. Same with the 3M IHG.

The #80 is mildly abrasive and thus utterly different from the above listed products.

If the paint is marring-free, I'd be very careful using any abrasive on it. I'd at least a) inspect with maginfication to see if any correction/burnishing might really be beneficial, b) use a *very* mildly abrasive product such as #9, c) probably just stick with pure polishes.

I honestly don't think you're likely to see much of an improvement from where you are now (assuming it passes the magnification test) and at some point (IMO) you get so much stuff on the paint that it starts to look less-than-optimal. I myself would probably go straight from the pure polish to the final LSP.

There's often a trade-off between shine/gloss and depth so you have to find the combo that gives you the best look for what you're after.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Accumulator
          Thanks for the reply. You have supported what I was thinking.
          Like I stated in above post I have 8 coats of clear wet sanded between each coat while sanding was very light I probably only have about 5 coats left after sanding. At the present time the hood was done with # 80 then #7 and topped with Souveran paste wax and I think I'm at my best combination of gloss and depth but I just thought that if someone had a idea that sounds feasible I would try it. With this particular car no amount of work or expense is too much I'm only interested in maximum results. Keeping BLACK at that level is a full time job
          I have always just got it perfect with the naked eye, I have an 8X magnifier glass I will see what the surface looks like with it.
          Once again thanks for your opinion Bart
          Black Bart

Comment

Accumulator
            Thanks for the magnifying idea.
            I found one laying around the house that I forgot I had.
            It is three inches in diameter and 4X I used it and with all the fluorescent lights in my shop on plus 500 watts halogen light on a tripod that I could move around I examined the finish and I could not see any marring or scratches nothing visible just deep pool of black. I guess I'm just going to have to accept what I have and be satisfied with it.
            Last Saturday at a car show one of the judges told me my car was blinding him and he said he needed sun glasses to look at it.
            THANKS for the help I heard about the magnifying glass before but forgot about it. I will remember the tip.
            Black Bart

Comment

When you Souveran runs out give M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax a try instead, cost a lot less and on black paint I'd put it up against any boutique wax on the market including anything in the Souveran line and anything made by Zymol no matter what it cost.

M26 used to be advertised as the only wax that will increase the D.O.I. of a previously polished finish which is a pretty hard thing to do considering the kind of results you can get with a product like #7 Show Car Glaze.

Give it try it's actually a very good product.

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

When your Souveran runs out give M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax a try instead, cost a lot less and on black paint I'd put it up against any boutique wax on the market including anything in the Souveran line and anything made by Zymol no matter what it cost.

M26 used to be advertised as the only wax that will increase the D.O.I. of a previously polished finish which is a pretty hard thing to do considering the kind of results you can get with a product like #7 Show Car Glaze.

Give it try it's actually a very good product.

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have 26 in my arsenal of products like many of us I have way too many different products but I'm always trying some combination that i have not done before. Presently I have NXT topped with #26 on two of my vehicles. I like the gloss of NXT but to my eye ALL SEALANTS lack the depth of carnuba so I top them with a quality wax.
                  Just today I was talking to a friend and ask him if he had ever used #26 and he said no and I told him to get some and try it.
                  As to the boutique wax I have lots of them also the thing that I don't understand is the guys that go through what they do to use Zaino
                  I don't like the sterile look but I have too many vehicles to take care of to spend all day mixing and applying polish coat after coat trying to get it to look good and they even have to apply the Z6 between every coat. Man those guys need to get a life.
                  I go to at least one car show a week and the cars that win the most awards are using carnuba the sealants have improved a lot and many prefer them but the carnuba is still king at the shows.
                  I'm never without #26
                  Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');