• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape

What kinda tape do yall use when you tape off trim before using a da polisher? Any recomendations for what kind of tape i should use seeing it will be my first time?
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

3M blue painters tape
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yea, make sure you use Painters tape and not just regular tape since the painters stuff is less adhesive and won't damage the paint.
      -Brian
      2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

i use Green Painters tape. the painter guy said it is less adhesive.

could be totally wrong though.

is this true?

Comment

Yeah, they make 3 or 4 colors now. I think Blue is the medium one.

I thought Green was the stongest, but maybe that is another color.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Tape

Originally posted by onnfire
            What kinda tape do yall use when you tape off trim before using a da polisher? Any recomendations for what kind of tape i should use seeing it will be my first time?
            Can't go wrong with the green tape you get at a PBE shop

Comment

3m is great and the model#2080 or if you can find #2070 there
              both made for delicate paint, but the 2070 has less adhesive.

Comment

I bought the blue tape at Home Depot - it says it is painter's tape and for delicate jobs, but it is model 2090. Is this the right thing? I also saw some green tape at Wal Mart that said it was for automobiles but I didn't check the model number. What do you all think?

Comment

Originally posted by monkuboy
                  I bought the blue tape at Home Depot - it says it is painter's tape and for delicate jobs, but it is model 2090. Is this the right thing? I also saw some green tape at Wal Mart that said it was for automobiles but I didn't check the model number. What do you all think?
                  You will be fine with the blue painters tape. If it's good enough for Mike Phillips, it's good enough for all of us!
                  Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
                  Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo0903
                    You will be fine with the blue painters tape. If it's good enough for Mike Phillips, it's good enough for all of us!
                    Thanks... you are certainly right about that! I thought maybe there are various blue tapes from 3M but that wouldn't make much sense.

Comment

there are diffrent grades of tape and the #2070 has worked for
                      me as it is the safest tape of there line and the least adhesive,
                      and yes mike does use the painter's tape but 3m make diffrent grades of the painter's tape line

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');