• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColorX questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColorX questions

Sorry for my questions but I couldn't find the right information.
    Background:
    There are times that I want to do all the 5 steps to my car but sometimes I have to stop in the middle to do something else. There are times when left my car unprotected because I was cleaning it with either MPPC or #80.
    So I believe that colorX will give me the solution ie. clean the paint and if I need to run at least I know that there is wax in my paint. Paint condition is good.
    My plans are:
    colorx to clean the paint
    #21 or NXT wax

Questions:
    1- I plan to apply ColorX via PC. I believe that pad 8006 should be ok. Should I apply it and work it like #80? or just simply apply it like applying NXT, #21, GC or any other wax?

2- If I work ColorX like #80 or #83, ie. apply it, spread it, work it and wipe it before dry, will colorX will leave wax on the paint?

3- Per above question, If leaves some wax behind, can I apply #7 or is a waste of time to do it since the paint will not "absorb" the polish because of the wax from colorX.

Cheers!
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

1. It is a cleaner, so it will want worked in a little for bestresults. You can use a 9006 pad as well, which would not clean as well, but may leave a nice finish if it is already good.

2. A wax will need to dry before removing to leave good protection behind.

3. Personaly, if you are going to clean, polish, then wax, you are better with #80 and 2 coats of wax.

If you use ColorX, then polish, then 2 coats of wax, you took a product meant to make things quicker and added more steps.

If anything, just follow ColorX with a coat of pure wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I use ColorX largely for the reason you are considering it. I apply it with a pc and an 8006 pad and work it like I do #80. Sometimes I follow up in a week or so with NXT. Sometimes I don't. #7 is not at all necessary.

ColorX is a darn good "stand alone" product, especially if you wax your vehicle ever six weeks or so.

Tom

Comment

ColorX, or any Meguiar's cleaner wax, is great for exactly what you are thinking. I maintain my cars through the summer with the cleaner waxes. It's a pita to spend precious summer days and family time "working", no matter how much fun it is!

Remember that there will be times that you don't need all the cleaning power CX has; always use the least aggressive product! A-12 Cleaner Wax and Mirror Glaze #6 are both good choices for when you need a little bit less cleaning. My experience is that while there are some minor differences in appearance, those are almost unnoticeable. A-12 is closest to #16, Mirror Glaze #6 closest to #26, ColorX closest to NXT.

Tom
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't tryed colorx nor cleaner wax. The good news is that I can find them almost everywhere. Yes, is a pain to spend precious summer days "working" while I could spend it with the loves ones.
          So, here are my plan of attack for a "quick summer maintance"
          1- Wash - off course
          2- ColorX or cleaner wax - work the product like #80 but shorter time and less pressure on the PC. Kind of in between spreading wax and removing swirls with the PC. Let the product dry and whipe.
          3- If I have time, NXT or #21

With this steps if I have to stop to do something else, at least I know that my car will be protected, and can come back to remove the rest of the excess wax.
          Cheers!
          Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Yes, I would also use the ColorX to combine steps and save time.

But if the paint if is in good condition, sometimes you might not even need ColorX. But could do like: Wash - Clay (if needed) - NXT.

And when you need a little more work I would still choose: Wash - Clay - #80 - Wax.

BTW, #80 does leave a bit of protection, so your car is not left completely unprotected after this. It is actually recommended for protecting uncured paint.
            Last edited by Zet; Jul 8, 2006, 01:00 PM.
            "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
            - Back To The Future

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');