• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help - Reflection coming out bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - Reflection coming out bad

Hi everyone, I have been working on this car ('95 Mercury Grand Marquis) for some time now, but each time I wash, clay, scratch-x, and wax, while the surface FEELS absolutely glass smooth, it does not look it at all.

In the past, when doing the exact same process on my own car, the resutling reflection is crisp like glass. I can make out facial features all the way down to the reflective glaze in my eyes. But on this car, all I really seem to see is a dull shadow.

I'll try to be as clear sounding as I can: The reflection isn't hazy (except in one part), but rather it's dull, or not crisp. The best way to put it would be like trying to look at your reflection with slightly crumpled tin foil.

I took some pictures, I hope they can better explain what is happening.

I would also like to point out that I have used all Meguiar's brand products, from the car shampoo all the way down to the super absorbant terry cloth.

As you can see in the first picture, the surface looks almost like it's slightly dented 100000 times.

Here's another view. Once again, the many "dents" in the surface. I remind you that the surface feel's absolutely smooth, and water runs off without a problem.

This is just the Hazy part. It's not so much dull like the other parts as it is just...hazy

Here's another good view. The lines on the house are supposed to be straight, but they come out twisted and such.

Again, the lines are supposed to be straight. On my own car, they do come out looking straight and clean, but not here.

And last but not least, window vs body. The window reflection is what I was trying to make the body come out looking like. We all saw what happened to that plan

Well, that's all I have. If you have any questions for me, feel free to email/AIM me, i'll be around. Thanks a lot for looking!

The bumps are orange peel and every paint job has it. You color is why your reflection looks dull...
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

So you're saying that the only reason the reflection looks bad is because that's a bad color of blue to reflect?

Comment

No, any color can get orange peel. Basicaly, think of the surface of an orange. One or more of your layers of paint has that kind of finish to it, so it is screwing up the reflections.

There can be many causes, but basicaly it is just from a high-production environment, and companies working so quickly, not being carfeull with each coat. Many original paint jobs have some degree of orange peel.

Custom shops that do good work will wet sand each coat to make sure there is no orange peel around.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

My biased side says that is why my toyota camry looks a lot better than this mercury grand marquis

Comment

Yes, the orange peel is what distorts the reflection, but the color has a lot to say about how "strong" the reflections will be. This looks like a light blue color, also with some grey in it? With that color the reflections won't be very deep, and so appears a bit dull.

Have a Toyota myself, and while the orange peel isn't to bad, I've found that there is a limit to how deep I can get the paint to look, as it is a dark blue with grey in it. Actually Toyotas name for the color is "Darkish Bluish Grey" It tends to look slightly "muddy" up close. But it is a very practical color, if the car is a bit dirty

Since getting into this detailing thing, I will now choose the color on my next car based on what looks the best when "just detailed", instead of being practical Although I'm not sure if I'm ready to own a black car as a daily driver...

What color is your Camry?
            "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
            - Back To The Future

Comment

My Camry is a crimson color. I'm not sure what the official Toyota name is though. It's just a dark red. But it gives off a nice reflection

As for the Mercury, I guess i'll have to pass on the bad news to my dad (it's his car)
              Too bad =\

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

Comment

To MOL readers... watch out when clicking on those thumbnails above. Imageshack is notorious about trying to get spyware installed on your system. To DS_K7.... post them on the gallery here.

Brian

Comment

There's a gallery here?

Comment

There's a gallery here?
                    Yes, it's pretty cool. Check out the post:

How to put pictures into your posts

Also check out the post:

Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Comment

Working...
                    X