• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pine Tree Sap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Tree Sap

My son has a '65 Mustang, Paints not great but got parked under a pine tree and now has a bunch of sap droppings on it, wehave tried a couple of products(not Meg's) and have had no luck. HELP!!!
    River's End Marine Mobile Detailing

A Bad Day on the Water is Better Than a Good Day at work! and Even Better When You Combine the Two!

My son parked his 2001 Mustang under a pine tree the other day and it got "sapped" in kust the 15 minutes he was there!

I mixed up a solution of Meg's God Class car wash shampoo and warm water and a second bucket of water to rinse in.

I took a sprayer with Dupont Prep Sol solvent and sprayed a panel, let it dwell for a few seconds, then using the gold class solution at a clean bug removal sponge ( the type with the mesh around it) went over the panel following the natural airflow over the vehicle, rinsing the sponge in the clean water bucket before applying more Gold Class solution.

I then rinsed the panel, checked to see if there was any pine sap remaining and moved to the next one. If there was still sap there, I would rewash the panel in the same manner.

After the entire vehicle was "desapped", I washed it again using a microfiber wash mitt and a fresh mixture of Gold Class solution, using the 2 bucket method

You will want to remove the pine sap as soon as possible, as it is highly acidic and will etch through clearcoat.

You will also have to rewax the vehicle, as the Prep Sol, while removing the sap will also strip the wax off the finish.

If you can't get Prep Sol, you can also use Meguiar's Body Solvent or mineral spirits.
    Last edited by DaGonz; Jul 11, 2006, 03:51 AM.
    Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
    Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Just like Gonzo said.....get it off ASAP...it will etch the paint and you will be mad you didnt get it off sooner...i have seen this happen many many times....I use the megs body solvent..let dwell for a few minutes ,then use a clean m/f..to remove then i wash the whole car and rewax..works great and very easy to remove if you get to it before it hardens like a rock.
      Last edited by RZ Autodetailing; Jul 11, 2006, 04:20 AM.
      RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo0903
        I mixed up a solution of Meg's God Class car wash shampoo
        Wow, where can I get some of that, sounds divine

Btw, didn't know tree sap could actually etch the paint, that is some mean stuff. Is pine sap especially bad, or will sap from other trees do this as well?
        "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
        - Back To The Future

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');