• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dreaded Tape Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dreaded Tape Lines

What is the best way to remove the tape lines? It seems it takes almost an hour to remove the lines and was wondering is there any tricks to this.

I've found that clay works decently well. And even some QD and a MF. The plushness of the MF can get some of the lines out if you saturate the lines with enough product. I was still finding some remnants of lines 6 months after getting my WRX.
    -Brian
    2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

What tape are we refering to?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I was asuming lines from tape from shipping the cars.
        -Brian

Comment

No, I believe he is talking about the lines that are present after one takes off the tape - the tape that some people put on before detailing to prevent wax/polish from getting in little cracks and crevices on the car.

As for a solution...I usually just going over it with a microfiber does the trick. Does that not work for you?

Comment

Re: The Dreaded Tape Lines

Originally posted by vtrader
            What is the best way to remove the tape lines? It seems it takes almost an hour to remove the lines and was wondering is there any tricks to this.
            I have never seen this mentioned before. I was afraid to ask! YEAH--it is almost (not really) easier to remove the product from the joints than to remove the tape lines.

Comment

I've never had any "tape lines" in anything from just masking off areas while detailing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
              -Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bullet1
                I've never had any "tape lines" in anything from just masking off areas while detailing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
                That's why I was afraid to ask. I am probably doing it wrong--do you still cautiously approach the tape line or do you just "have at it", buff up to an onto the tape?

Comment

And what sort of tape have you been using?
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm not quite sure as to the details of this situation, however, here are some suggestions:

I'm assuming that the tape lines are a result of product build-up against the tape's edge when buffing/DAing and not from the tape's adhesive. If so, try to either use less product, or apply your product farther away from the tape and spread out your product towards the tape. When you "have-at-it," there is still product on the applicator, but in minimal amounts. Therefore, the product is still working, you just won't be able to physically see the product on the surface. In other words, the product is working because there is product on the pad, but you cannot see it on the surface you are working on because the coat is thin.

In my personal experiences, I usually "have-at-it," meaning buffing over the tape itself, but my "lines" are minimal because I don't have a saturation of product being 'thrown" up against the edge of the tape when I go up to and over it. It takes a little bit of practice, but you'll be a pro at it in no time.

Comment

One thing you might want to try is to rub down the edge of the tape to make sure it's adhered and presenting a minimal crevice for product to build up under.

Comment

What he is refering to is when you work on tape the area under the tape does not get worked. thus.... The area under the tape is higher(or lower in the case of painting) then the area that had been worked...

The simple answer is the not the answer you want to hear but avoid creating them at all cost. Its better to work near the tape and then deal with the unworked area when you deal with whats under the tape then creating the dreaded tape line.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiibrad
                          What he is refering to is when you work on tape the area under the tape does not get worked. thus.... The area under the tape is higher(or lower in the case of painting) then the area that had been worked...

The simple answer is the not the answer you want to hear but avoid creating them at all cost. Its better to work near the tape and then deal with the unworked area when you deal with whats under the tape then creating the dreaded tape line.
                          I just use the tape to tape off trim, emblems, windshield washer ports etc ??...not sure I understand where the tape would be used so you could see where the paint was treated and where it wasn't....
                          Bill Poirier
                          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');