• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#20, #21 and NXT Tech Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20, #21 and NXT Tech Wax

This forum is great! I'm an "on the side" detailer for about a year now and I've learned a lot in just the short time I've joined and tried some new products and techniques. So, I have yet another question. What are the differences between #20 polymer sealant, #21 synthetic sealant and NXT tech wax? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? Do they produce the same result? Is one better than the other? Does one protect better or give a better shine, or is the difference negligible? I currently use the NXT line and have gotten a few of the Detailer products also. I also just got a PC so if one works better with that I have that option too.

Thanks
    Mike
    Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
    ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Well, #20 is what you might call a mild cleaner/wax. It actualy does seem to have some reasonable cleaners in it.

#21 and Nxt are closer, with just very very mild cleaners.

Meguiars says that Nxt is the longest lasting wax but seems to lose its looks a bit easy. #21 seems to at least keep its looks longer than Nxt, even if it is a tad less durable.

I'd pick #21.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

20 is like 21, but with cleaning agents, both have similar apperance (to me they look exactly the same). I think 20 may be more durable (or I have heard it was) but I have not noticed any difference

NXT is also similar in apperance to 20/21 (I think NXT is actually alittle wetter and glossier). I have used NXT to top 21 on lighter cars and have always been blown away by the results...

21 is wetter then NxT because it is formulated for bodyshop use (ie rotary application) and because of this I find that 21 is easier to use with a PC.

Also, NXT is fairly easy to apply and remove, 21 is twice as easy!!!
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

So would you use Nxt for one "type" of application and #21 for another or is it just personal preference?

Mike

Comment

I would say you either pick one or the other.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I've just seen some people offer #21 or NXT on different jobs and was wondering if one was better than the other. I got confused! Now I'm going to try #21 and hopefully it will be easier to remove than NXT, yes I posted in the dreaded " oily and hard to remove streaks" thread.

Mike

Comment

I've never had a streak that wasnt my fault.. removing to soon, applying too thick.

I think it is Tim that uses 2 coats of #21 topped with Nxt, and it certainly looks fantastic. But I havent got that much time...

Comment

I'm adding #21 to my list to try out now. I don't have much time either for multiple layers of wax, but if I get some time to try it on my car, I am.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Comment

#21 topped with NXT Paste is my favorite combination. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect one coat of #21 followed by one coat of NXT Paste may work very well also.

#21 is close in looks to NXT, but the NXT does give a little bit deeper shine. #21 keeps it's look longer and stays slicker longer. I think the #21 is more durable.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Here the skinny of it, NXT is not bodyshop safe while #21 is !

Comment

Originally posted by EdT
                      Here the skinny of it, NXT is not bodyshop safe while #21 is !

What makes #21 "body shop safe"

mike

Comment

I doubt that #21 is body shop safe. The only polymer that is bodyshop safe that I know of is that contained in #80.

RamAirV1
                        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

What do you mean "body shop safe"?
                          ppalis@comcast.net

Comment

Any product with any type of silicon is not body shop safe. I dont know if you have heard of the term "fish eyes"? That is what is when the silicon causes is small imperfections, bubble like in the paint. Once it gets in the shop it can be a long time until the area is decontaminated.

The thing is any product with a silicon in it is usually awesome for that wet look and the glossiness.

That is why you see the recon department and bodyshop in separate areas in dealers.

I will say that while I just switched to a full megs line of polish and waxes the 80 looks awesome for being bodyshop safe. Cant wait to try it.

I got my first lesson when I worked in a private detail shop. The bodyshop was a half block away and I parked a customer car there and noticed the tires needed some more shine. So I started blasting away right by the front door with the door open. But they understood I was new. Lesson learned.

Comment

I never knew that. Thanks for the info!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');