• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does HUMIDITY affect waxing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does HUMIDITY affect waxing??

I've only been waxing a couple months so my apologies if this is a really silly question.....

I wax by hand only, and have used ColorX, GC paste and NXT paste in the past. I just washed and dried tonight, and want to go out in the early a.m. and touch up with QD, then use Quik Detail SPRAY WAX for the first time.

It's supposed to be 96 degrees and humid tomarrow. I do my detailing under a carport. Does humidity have ANY affect at all when you wax, regardless of the type of wax? (Such as drying time, more difficult to apply or remove, etc). I am especially concerned about this before using QD Spray Wax for the first time. THANKS!

In a word...

YES!

Humidity affects the set up time for any wax that you use,and also takes a toll on you.

Keep yourself well hydrated.
    Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
    Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Had that same kind of weather today in NorthWest Indiana. Washed the vehicles outside, but pulled them into the carport to wax them. (was losing my shade) Anyway, temp in the carport was 110! Thought I was going to die, humid as heck too. Wax took a liitle bit longer to set up, but still not too bad. Was using NXT Liquid
      Hooray Beer!

Comment

OK.......so high humidity will make wax take longer to "dry to a haze".....will it make it any harder to remove the wax as well? Or it shouldn't make much of a difference? It's not even 7 a.m. yet, and humidity is already at 90%. Grrrr.....
        Last edited by gollums_friend; Jul 16, 2006, 04:46 AM.

Comment

The effects of humidity will vary depending on the wax. I have had no humidity issues with neither NXT Paste, MPPP, #20, and #26. I have recently had humidity issues with #21. The setup time appears to be much longer, up to several hours, but there may be an issue with my bottle of #21. The NXT Spray Booster Wax is greatly affected by humidity. You can use it in humid weather but you must apply an extremely thin layer. My rule of thumb for the Spray Booster Wax is that if you can see it, you've applied too much and it will streak big time! If you are in a less humid climate you can get away with a heavier layer but not much. I don't use the Spray Booster Wax when it's humid out.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I went ahead and used the QD spray wax (not the NXT ine, Meg;s other one) yesterday. I was amazed at how easily the stuff went on and came off. Did the swipe test first to make sure....seems like I waited about 10 minutes or so and it came off with no problems at all! Didn't see any streaking yesterday, hopefully the car looks the same when I head out for work this morning!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');