• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC#1 AND Clay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC#1 AND Clay?

I know it's been said repeatedly that brand new cars can have contaminates already on the paint....

The "paint protection" program the dealership put on my car contained CLAY as an ingredient. Entire car felt smooth as glass to the touch afterwards. I've maintained it fairly well since then (May), with weekly washes, and have used ColorX, GC, NXT, and even QD spray wax at one time or another since then. I also use QD mist and wipe a couple times a week for touch ups.

But now, for the first time, I'd like to try the DC #2 polish, before my next wax job. Here's my question: Paint surface still feels pretty good, with maybe just a few areas that feel slightly rougher here and there. The "5 step process" recommends using BOTH clay and DC#1 on vehicles before polish is applied. But on a surface that feels pretty good aleady......are BOTH of those items really necessary?

Considering the condition of the paint I mentioned above.....if I wanted to do one or the other (DC#1 or Clay) before polishing, which should it be? Is one better than the other given the circumstances? Thanks for advice and suggestions!

PS....Given the recent heat and humidity in the midwest lately...should I wait for cooler weather before I use the polish?

If you personally never clayed your car before, I would. If you want it done right, you need to do it yourself BUT if you insist on doing one or the other, I would do DC1.

(Personally) I would wash, CLAY, DC1, (select a polish here), and top it with your fav wax.

I would wait till it less humid, its not safe for your health to do 'hard' work when its 90+ degrees.
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

It is a bit hot, but esp. humid to get good results at the moment. Granted polishes dont need to dry anyway, but it can make waxes esp. hard to remove without smearing.

I too would pick DC#1 if nothing else.

Also, there is nothing wrong with spot-claying, as in just the panel that needs it.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');