• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Speed Glaze or Scratch-X Contain Silicone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Speed Glaze or Scratch-X Contain Silicone?

I just had my hood repainted and since it had holograms and skid marks everywhere from the dealership, I went over it very lightly with Speed Glaze and my PC with a yellow Meg pad (8006?). It got rid of a lot of the spiderwebbing, and most of the holo's, but the scratches and skids are still there. I then went over it with Scratch-X for quite a while trying to make it less noticeable. Looks beautiful from ten feet and terrible from four or five. Especially in the sun. The car is an 03 Mercedes Benz- black. Can't get a photo to really show what I'm talking about. I'll try later when there is more sun. No silicone, right? I was told that ruins new paint, so I'm wondering. Would it be okay to use something a little more aggressive?
    Thanks.

I don't know about ScratchX, but I am positive that #80 is Silicone free. I know that #83, #80, #82, #9 and #7 are good for cars that have just been repainted

Just don't wax the car for 30-90 days because pretty much all waxes will wreck your new paint just.

Edit DC2 is safe for repaints too!
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Hi harleysuperduty,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

How are you applying the ScratchX?

Like sneek said, the 80's series is body shop safe, so these products are forumlated for use on fresh paint, ScratchX is a consumer product formulated for use on cured paint.

If you have a PC and M80 isn't removing the defects to your satisfaction, then try using M83 and follow this with some final polishing by going back to the M80 Speed Glaze.

If the M83 applied with the PC isn't removing the defects then it's not time to use a more aggressive chemical, it's time to switch to a more powerful tool such as the rotary buffer.

There are articles that discuss this in the Hot Topics section of this forum.

Doesn't sound like the dealership has a clue about how to properly polish paint.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Do Speed Glaze or Scratch-X Contain Silicone?

Originally posted by harleysuperduty
        ...No silicone, right? I was told that ruins new paint, ...
        Whoever told you that completely misunderstood the point. Silicone in car care products is inert and cannot harm your paint.

It's so inert and slippery that wet paint won't stick to it. Silicones will cause problems if you try to shoot paint on top of them so painters must to be careful to avoid them in or around their shop. Before painting they must carefully clean surfaces to remove any traces of oils, dirt, grease, wax and yes, silicones.

PC.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Now, I won't have to worry about it.
          Mike

Comment

To Mike Phillips:
            I agree that the dealership doesn't have a clue. They offered to try to fix it, but I'm hesitant to take it to someone who already screwed it up so badly. The manager told me that it's impossible to repaint black and not have swirls and marks! I couldn't believe that! These guys need to do some homework.
            I've ordered some SR2 and SR1 and and a slightly more aggressive pad. I'll get progressively more abrasive as I try each product if they don't work. I may buy a rotary and practice on my older cars, then try to fix it. Which rotary is best?
            I've used a rotary a little many years ago and I think I could do it fairly well. I saw a pro doing it recently and closely watched how he was doing it. He let me use it in pickup bed and said I was good at it. I know it's a skill that takes a good while to master.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');