• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Absorber" any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Absorber" any good?

I have used "The Absorber" drying towel I guess you would call it, and now I have a new car and I have the feeling that it may hold dirt in it and may scratch my new baby. Does anybody have any experience with this brand? Should I just use the old tried and true shamois?

Re: "The Absorber" any good?

Originally posted by glenslexus
    I have used "The Absorber" drying towel I guess you would call it, and now I have a new car and I have the feeling that it may hold dirt in it and may scratch my new baby. Does anybody have any experience with this brand? Should I just use the old tried and true shamois?
    Well I have a couple Adsorbers and they do work well but I have quit using them for fear of trapping dirt/grime/sand under the towel and scratching my paint. I have changed to Water Magnet Drying Towel these also work very well, very adsorbant less likly to trap any grime, I like them so much I have 6 of them!

As Natural Chamois, I have never cared for them, I have a couple of these as well and just don't care for them.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I still use the Absorber towels, though my preference is Meguiar's Ultrasuede Microfiber drying towel. It's like a chamois but doesn't get hard. It's very soft, and highly absorbent like an Absorber.

I use the Absorber more as a sponge than I do a towel. I lay it flat on a panel and let it soak up water, then lift in about 5 to 10 seconds, and move to an adjacent panel, smooth it down, and let it absorb.

This way, you aren't rubbing your paint, and the potential to induce scratches is low since it's primarily lifting water from the paint.
      Richard Lin
      ShowCarDetailing
      5548 E. La Palma Ave
      Anaheim, CA 92807
      toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
        I still use the Absorber towels, though my preference is Meguiar's Ultrasuede Microfiber drying towel. It's like a chamois but doesn't get hard. It's very soft, and highly absorbent like an Absorber.

I use the Absorber more as a sponge than I do a towel. I lay it flat on a panel and let it soak up water, then lift in about 5 to 10 seconds, and move to an adjacent panel, smooth it down, and let it absorb.

This way, you aren't rubbing your paint, and the potential to induce scratches is low since it's primarily lifting water from the paint.
        Interesting way to use the absorber. I have two of them for paintwork, I'll have to try your method tomorrow when I detail a black 2001 Maxima.
        Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
        Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

I use the absorber and have never had a problem with scratching. It seems to me if you washed the vehicle it shouldn't have any dirt or grim on it. The absorber's can be washed as well. I put my back in the tube wet and never have a problem with it drying out either. I have been using them for about a year and don't plan on switching to anything else.

Comment

Late night infomercials can be useful! I saw this technique on a show selling some absorbent material for picking up stains out of carpets. So I tried it on my car and found it absorbed about 98% of the water on each panel.

What was left could be wiped with a MF towel or other dry towel. Again by blotting to eliminate the dragging of towels against the finish.

Btw, Absorber towels can be washed very easily. I find that soaking them overnight it a bucket or sink of warm water with a dab of dishwashing soap cleans them up and rids them of any bad smells.

I believe you can also toss them in the washing machine without harm.

Richard

Originally posted by Gonzo0903
            Interesting way to use the absorber. I have two of them for paintwork, I'll have to try your method tomorrow when I detail a black 2001 Maxima.
            Richard Lin
            ShowCarDetailing
            5548 E. La Palma Ave
            Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Works great on convertible tops too. Check this out, placed on top, let it absorb, then remove and it's completely dry.

Richard Lin
              ShowCarDetailing
              5548 E. La Palma Ave
              Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

I started using The Absorber again this year after a couple years of waffle weaves, and I wonder why I ever switched. WWs are fine, but I like TA a lot. It's easy to keep dirt off it (notice I didn't say OUT OF it); just drape it over your arm and spray the hose on it, then wring it out. If you drop it, hose it off and wring it out. You can wash it in the washing machine to keep it fresh. If it is leaving a little water on the car, wring it out and make another pass; it's not as if waffle weaves don't do that, too.

Tom
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I have the absorber but I find the water magnets are easier to use and also clean up all the water. Someone asked about washing them - I just put it in the washing machine and then roll it up wet and put it back into the package. It washes fine, rolls up fine and also works ok but not as good as the WM.

Comment

I have been using the Absorber for over ten years w/o any problems of it scratching my paint. I have one for my car only and I keep it in it's tube wet and in the trunk at all times. I rinse mine out after I use it each time really good. Doing that each time I'm done, assures that dirt or other debris is not in the towel. I had an old Absorber that I used strictly under the hood, but I can't find it. I'm going to buy me another one and swap the one in my trunk so I can use the old one under the hood only.
                    2016 Focus ST

Comment

I use a combo Absorber / Water Magnet to dry off the car. The Absorber does good at taking big amounts of water off and I come back over the car with the WM to get it spot free since the Absorber doesn't do that great of a job at getting ALL the water off. This is by far the best combo I have ever used.
                      -Brian
                      2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');