• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip needed - doing some real work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip needed - doing some real work

Hi there, an detailing apprentice from norway here with some problems deciding what route to take.

The thing is the car has some swirls, especially from a t-e-f-l-o-n (why is this automaticly sencored?) coating that was done by the former owner (they must have made them with a polishing machine or something). The car has never been "hurt" by a machine washer thank god. I want to remove these, make the metallic flakes pop up while giving it a deep dark black look with the tools i have available or get some more products if necessary. The time to do this is not a concern since i can work it several days in a row if necessary

The car is a 3 door hatchback (03 honda civic type-R). The paint is Nighthawk black pearl wich is the same black that comes on the US Acura RSX Type-S. The hood is somewhat steep so it catches up alot of stone chips im afraid, looks like ill have to get it repainted or fit a carbon fibre hood instead in a year or two or else it will drive me crazy. Luckily the chips are tiny but visable to me of course.

When it comes to the finish i want it that liquid wet deep black look and i want to remove as much as i can of the swirls in the paint. Also im having problems removing all leftovers in the hood and front bumper from some bug splatters. I can almost see some spots wich looks like small smears that must be leftovers. And i dont know how "hard" i can use the washmit on them so i dont try to "rub" it off. I tried using clay but it seems hard to remove with this also.

The products i have consist of the following:

- Megs Dual Action polisher
    - M83
    - M80
    - M07
    - NXT wax
    - NXT wash
    - all 3 types of pads to the polisher (megs)
    - bonnets for the polisher (also megs)
    - Gold Class applicator pads
    - Super suede drying cloth
    - Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt
    - Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
    - Even coat applicators
    - ScratchX
    - Bug and tar remover
    - Claybar
    - Trim detailer
    - 2000-2500-3000 grit wetsand (only been experimenting slowly on some fender parts ive got laying around)

Also got a whole heap of products like engine degreaser, wheel/tire cleaners, metal polish and so on. Works exelent but the paint is the thing that dont give me that complete satesfaction when i take a close look. I guess im a perfectionist.

Did a workover last sunday on a orange metallic smart roaster that didnt have much swirls since it was repainted just months ago. I used wash-clay-M80-M07-NXT wax and it looked great, but i guess a black car also lets you notice the swirls more noticable. It has some darkblue and silver flakes in it, the paint on my car that is.

Im also posting some pictures to give you an idea of what om working on, i dont have any pictures of the swirlds themselves since these are more "showoff pictures" but hopefully it will inspire some feedback

Ill also post a picture i found that looks somewhat like the swirlds in my paint (same color also it seems) exept that i dont have the marring in the paint and i dont think i have any waterspots that i have noticed so far.

Links to great examples for a big workover, suggestions on what products to use, what not, what will work best and anything you find worth suggesting is greatly appreciated. I feel somewhat alone over here in Trondheim City in Norway even though there are heaps of cheap (and crappy) detailing businesses all over. I even got two offers from some bystanders when i went over the Smart to do their cars Seems like people are willing to pay me about 200-250$, hopefully this means im not completly lost. Ill post a picture of the Smart if i can find one also.

Last edited by n0stra; Jul 25, 2006, 04:47 PM.

Two of your pictures are so wide I have to horizontal scroll to read all of your text. This is usually bad Netiquette, that is, limit the width of your pictures so most people in the world can see then entire picture without having to horizontal scroll.

As to your questions, give me a minute to spend some time horizontally scrolling to read all the words.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I resized your two large photos to 700 pixels wide, here's what they look like at a size most of the world with whatever monitor and resolution setting will be able to see them at.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Terribly sorry about this, working on a workstation with a somewhat high resolution so when i cut the size in half i thought it was low enough. I lowered them to 800x600 but now im not allowed to edit the thread anymore so i guess i have to ask a moderator to let me replace the pictures.

Comment

Re: Tip needed - doing some real work

Originally posted by n0stra

The thing is the car has some swirls, especially from a

t-e-f-l-o-n

(why is this automatically censored?)
          It has to do with lawsuits, how the huge company that does the suing has a lot of money and how we want to avoid being sued, thus the word is censored in the Admin panel, but sharp cookies like you know how to get around it, suffice to say, it works most of the time.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The thing is the car has some swirls, especially from a

t-e-f-l-o-n

(why is this automatically censored?)
            It has to do with lawsuits, how the huge company that does the suing has a lot of money and how we want to avoid being sued, thus the word is censored in the Admin panel, but sharp cookies like you know how to get around it, suffice to say, it works most of the time.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Terribly sorry about this, working on a workstation with a somewhat high resolution so when i cut the size in half i thought it was low enough. I lowered them to 800x600 but now im not allowed to edit the thread anymore so i guess i have to ask a moderator to let me replace the pictures.
              Sorry about the editing thing, we use to be pretty easy going with that but then after myself or some other nice person answers someone's question, sometimes the person will go change their words to make our answers look stupid. So for this and other reasons, you have about 5 minutes.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

When it comes to the finish i want it that liquid wet deep black look and i want to remove as much as i can of the swirls in the paint. Also im having problems removing all leftovers in the hood and front bumper from some bug splatters. I can almost see some spots wich looks like small smears that must be leftovers. And i dont know how "hard" i can use the washmit on them so i dont try to "rub" it off. I tried using clay but it seems hard to remove with this also.

The products i have consist of the following:

- NXT wash
                - Claybar
                - ScratchX
                - Even coat applicators
                -- Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels

- Megs Dual Action polisher
                - M83
                - M80
                - all 3 types of pads to the polisher (megs)
                - bonnets for the polisher (also megs)
                - NXT wax

Links to great examples for a big workover, suggestions on what products to use, what not, what will work best and anything you find worth suggesting is greatly appreciated.

I hacked out all the products you listed and left the ones you need to get the results you want.

Wash the car
                Clay the car
                Use ScratchX in the small hard to reach areas you cannot work on by machine.

Use the polisher to remove the swirls and etchings on all the major flat panels. Try M80 Speed Glaze first, if this doesn't work then try M83 followed by M80 Speed Glaze. Work a small area on the hood with the M80 Speed Glaze and then wipe off the residue and inspect, if the finish looks good go to wax. If not, try the M83 followed by the M80 and then inspect, if the finish looks good, then go to wax.

Make sure you can make one small area look good before going over the entire car.

We have a Honda Pilot with the same color paint, I'll guess it has the same paint system so that would mean the same type of clear over the black and M80 is sufficient to remove the swirls on our Pilot and prepare the paint for wax.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ahh i understand, to bad though, i guess everyone will be bothered by my bigtime pictures now then.

Btw ive ordered your dvd, read alot about it so im looking forward to watching it. A friend also wanted me to order it for him. Perhaps i should start importing it to norway in big numbers

Waiting in suspense for any suggestions on how to procede. Ive also finally found a place where its properly "cool" and indoor. Since im a student and rent an apartment i have to park the car outside wich pretty much *****.

Comment

Read this for more information on working by hand and machine. for the machine article, pick up where the M80 step kicks in.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ahh i understand, to bad though, i guess everyone will be bothered by my bigtime pictures now then.
                      No worries, now that I've posted the meat of my post, I'll swap the resized pictures in place of the originals.

Btw ive ordered your dvd, read alot about it so im looking forward to watching it. A friend also wanted me to order it for him. Perhaps i should start importing it to norway in big numbers
                      Thank you! I hope you enjoy it.

Waiting in suspense for any suggestions on how to procede. Ive also finally found a place where its properly "cool" and indoor. Since im a student and rent an apartment i have to park the car outside wich pretty much *****.
                      I've posted some links that goes over just about everything you need to do, most important is to dial in your system and make sure you can make one small area look good before going over the entire car.

Most people use the wrong technique both by hand and by machine and then they don't get the results they want. Take your time and work careful. Pay attention to the task at hand. The DVD will help a lot, (or so I've been told).
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hopefully the M80 will give me better result indoor where its not as hot (the paint wasnt exactly cool when i tried it the last time). I thougth i worked it in quite well but the swirls were still quite noticable IMHO.

Btw, what about using 07, and someone in here with some experience recomended using 26 ontop of the NXT wax. Any comments on this?

Finally, i plan on getting myself a Makita rotary some day and practice on an old family car we got laying around If one is really really careful and uses alot of time and care, how hard is it really to use a machine like this after you get some experience with the dual action? I guess there is no real answer to this but anyways. Also when i get this it will only be used to remove those pesky deeper cuts/swirls that are removable but cant be removed with the dual action.

Comment

Hopefully the M80 will give me better result indoor where its not as hot (the paint wasnt exactly cool when i tried it the last time). I thougth i worked it in quite well but the swirls were still quite noticable IMHO.
                          It's all in the technique.

Btw, what about using 07, and someone in here with some experience recomended using 26 ontop of the NXT wax. Any comments on this?
                          #7 is a pure polish and looks great on dark colors, it takes a little technique to get the hang of applying and removing it.

M26 is a very clear wax, it too is great on black paint, NXT maybe a tad darker and have an edge over it in eliminating the finest of swirls, give them both a try and see which one you like best.

Finally, i plan on getting myself a Makita rotary some day and practice on an old family car we got laying around If one is really really careful and uses alot of time and care, how hard is it really to use a machine like this after you get some experience with the dual action? I guess there is no real answer to this but anyways. Also when i get this it will only be used to remove those pesky deeper cuts/swirls that are removable but cant be removed with the dual action.
                          With practice and determination you can learn the way of the rotary buffer.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');