• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not understanding this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not understanding this...

Hello everyone,

My car was repainted last year and they had to repaint the hood last month since the very brilliant painter left a line of about 4 inches of metal from the hood completely exposed, meaning there was no paint on it. Obvisouly I didn't pay anything, however they did leave me with some nice swirls:

Obviously these swirls were a result of them using an aggressive compound to buff out the wet sanding scratches, so I figured I would need the power of my Makita rotary to get the job done.

So I used some #83 followed by #80. One thing I need to state is that I did not use a Meguiar's pad for #80, I will need to purchase one soon. I used an 8006 pad for #83.

Here is the result:

As you can see it's much better than it was before. You cannot see it in the picture, however there were some minor swirls still remaining.

So basically I washed my car again today, clayed the hood and went to work again, this time using #9 since the swirls seemed very light. I wiped off the polish residue and it seemed like 99% of the swirls were gone.

I took out my car into the sunlight and I was very upset when I noticed that the swirls were still there.

I do not understand what happenned.

Under the halogen lights there was clearly a large improvement. I do not see how this could happen. I am very frustrated right now and I am hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks.
    '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Did you apply the #9 with the rotary as well?

Were you able to tell at all if they were the same swirls, or maybe different directions sort of thing after you applied another product?

New paint is much softer than cured paint, so you may be moving swirls around. You may need to apply #9 by PC, or even by hand, with a finishing pad, soft foam applicator, etc.

Just some thoughts to start with...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I did apply #9 by rotary as well. I was thinking of possibly getting myself som #82 and applying it with a 9006 pad to see if it makes any difference.
      '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

82 and 9 are pretty similar.. try a small spot, well worked by hand.

It could be the rotary and soft paint just not letting you get the best finish.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It's been at least 1 month since it was painted, isn't that long enough for the paint to harden? I should still be able to remove the swirls even if the paint is still soft. I would like to try with my PC since the oscillating action is similar to hand movements.
          '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

Does anybody else have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
            '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

IMO #9 is good on the rotary where as #82 becomes a little messy. #82 is very effective by pc where as #9 is not as effective.

how do you like the Makita? I was thinking about getting one. My PC rotary is dead because it got run over by a friends SUV...
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord
              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

sneek: I will get myself some #82 and try it with my PC 7424. I am guessing #82 is just made to work better with the DA then with a Rotary. Hopefully I can get some better results with #82.

The Makita is the first Rotary I have ever owned, however I love it. I have absolutely no regrets having purchased it. It runs very smooth.
                '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

thats jsut my oppinion, so its good that you are seeing for yourself.

I was thinking about a Makita or a Dewalt, its about a $6 difference so I am really stuck. GRR theres all these threads on the differences but i can't decide, maybe i'll just buy another porter cable rotary
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord

Comment

I think that with names like Makita or DeWalt you really can't go wrong as far as the quality is concerned. If I am not mistaken the DeWalt is slightly heavier than the Makita.
                    '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

mhm but their both lighter that then porter cable rotary that I was using!
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord

Comment

from their respective websites:

DW849 - 8.25 lbs
                        PC7428 – 8 lbs
                        DW847 - 7.8 lbs
                        M9227C - 6.6 lbs.

Then there's always the Hitachi SP18VA - 6.2 lbs

Comment

Re: I am not understanding this...

Originally posted by 96Lude

I took out my car into the sunlight and I was very upset when I noticed that the swirls were still there.

I do not understand what happened.

Try re-cleaning the area again with the M83/W-8006, perhaps even the M84/W7006

It sounds like you haven't removed all of the swirls that were in the paint to begin with. After machine cleaning with the M83/W-8806 combination, this would have removed the lightest swirls and scratches first and left the deeper ones behind.

Moving to less aggressive products may not pull these out. The problem could be you need to either spend more time with M83/W-8006 or possibly get more aggressive. After you have completely removed the initial swirls you're trying to remove with your first step, then finish the paint off with less aggressive products to insure you've removed any swirls instilled using the more aggressive products.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                            from their respective websites:

DW849 - 8.25 lbs
                            PC7428 – 8 lbs
                            DW847 - 7.8 lbs
                            M9227C - 6.6 lbs.

Then there's always the Hitachi SP18VA - 6.2 lbs
                            Oh I guess i was wrong :p i couldn't imaging using the DeWalt for a long time on a vertical panel

so im leaning twards getting the M9227CY
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Mike,

I recall that when I was wiping off #83 after having polished that it was very difficult to remove. I did some reading in previous posts and I believe this means that I did not work in the product long enough. I think I am being a little too cautious with my Rotary and not giving the product enough time to break down. If I am working indoors in a cool garage, is there a guideline that you can give me as to how long I should work in #83 in a 2ftx2ft area? I am running the Rotary at 1300rpm.

When polishing with #83 it seems to disappear almost instantly and from previous posts it seems that it will appear to do this when in fact it really hasn't broken down yet.

Another option that I haven't tried yet is using my PC 7424 to apply #83, however I am afraid this will be too gentle.
                              '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');