• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help a forum brother out, anybody buff an H3? How hard is the paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a forum brother out, anybody buff an H3? How hard is the paint?

A gentleman has inquired about me doing some scratch and swirl removal on his black H3. If anybody has detailed a black (or any dark color) H3, how hard is the clearcoat. This gentleman would like a quote before I drive an hour and half to his house, and I would like to give him one before hand. Would 80/PC be enough to handle swirling?

Thanks,

Todd
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

One of our forum members recently detailed a Hummer including removing the swirls and his comments to me was that in the future he would probably turn down the work as Hummers are a lot of work to detail. Unless you're charging what you're worth and getting it, you might want to let it pass.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I worked on a black one about three months ago. I found the paint to be GM paint. It's hard but do able.
      Here is the thing you need to consider being that it sounds like you have not seen the vehicle. It could be really bad. Until you see it you can not accurately quote. Furthermore you need to factor in that you have a three hour round trip drive.
      I would not count of a pass with 80 doing the job. I work a panel at a time when I do stuff to perfect, but roughly I would say each panel got one pass with 83 on a red pad, 83 on a yellow, and 80 on a finishing pad.
      I would say you are looking at 8 hours minimum to polish the car. If you want this job, quote high as it is more than likely not in good shape and their response to that will likely answer yes or no for you. If you don't need it/ this guy hasn't come recommended I would pass on it.

Comment

Thanks Mike and LT1. I guess I should figure that I will be using a rotary and following up with 80/PC. GM paint is generally not senstive, and 80/PC leaves a perfect, ready to wax surface, IMO.

Rarely do I use 83 on the PC, I would just go to 80/rotary because its faster and has better cutting power. Thanks for the help, I'm guessing 400 is not out of the question then.

Comment

I'll send an e-mail to TheFiveO and ask him to add his two cents.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hummer Paint

Hiya TH001,
            Mike asked me to post my thought to you! I recently did a H2 and I have to agree, the GM paint was a PITA to work on. There were some swirls in the paint that 83 by machine, nor hand applied scratch X seemed to make much of a dent in. Also, in my opinion, the paint is not "perfect" to me if someone plops down as much as they do for a hummer, I would expect all aspects of that vehicle to be top notch.

Having said all this, the paint can be made to look totally awesome, it just takes a lot of work and a machine if serious defect work is to be done. If there are serious swirls, you may even consider #84 or something aggressive along those lines.

Check out my post on First Hummer H2 and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions!

Take care
            Last edited by TheFiveO; Aug 4, 2006, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');