• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about claying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about claying...

Planning to clay my car this weekend...a first for both my car and me...

i've read all the information, and feel relatively well-equipped to try it.

However, it has got me thinking about the clay.

It's supposed to remove the surface contaminants, so, since it's all on the clay, wouldn't continuing to use the same surface cause swirls and marks?

Even if you do fold the clay to use on a new surface, wouldn't that just be trapping the contaminants in the clay itself, and after a couple of folds to reveal 'clean' clay, wouldn't we end up with a contaminated piece of clay?

And another thing, how do I know when to 'expose' a new fold of clay? Based on the surface texture of the clay?

Appreciate any expert advice on this.

Thanks in advance.
    It's all a passion....

I probably 're-fold' the cly a little more often than I need to, but like you, I dont want to drag the stuff around too long. But that is also why you need to use plenty of lubrication, QD, so that everything can slide easily.

Also, you'll be surprised, it takes a long time for the stuff you folded in to work its way back out.

When it starts working its way back out, then it is time to toss theclay, or use it for glass, wheels, exhaust, etc.

Remember the order:

Paint--> Glass/Trim--> Wheels--> Exhuast

And just fold it when it looks kinda dirty to you. There is no texture change. Remember, you got all the big dirt when washing.

When it seems dirty to you, just fold your 'disk' of clay over, so the dirt goes to the inside, and you have a clean ball of clay. then flatten it back out.
    Last edited by Murr1525; Aug 3, 2006, 10:04 AM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi there, thanks for your advice. I didn't know you could use clay on the wheels and exhaust too.

I got lots of chrome on my car, so would I be able to clay those too? Would QD hurt the chromed surface?

About QD, on another car that I would like to work on, it was last polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and sealed with the Extra Gloss Protection. Have you got any experience with these products? I'd like to use QD and QW on it in between waxing, but was wondering if it would cause any damage since it's from 2 different brands.

Of course, when I next polish the car, it's gonna be Meguiar's all the way!
      It's all a passion....

Comment

Well, obviouly it works best on chrome/polished aluminum exhausts.. not so much a dingy tail pipe.

Sure, you can clay chrome. Make sure they are cool of couse, like if it is a chrome exhaust.

Unless you have paint overspray / stubborn tar, you really only need to be slow and gentle when you clay. So just keep it gentle on the chrome as well.

Remember, if you clay the other car, it will remove some/all of the previous wax.

Now, as far as just washing and spraying, you certainly can use QD and QW on it. There is no way to garauntee results when mixing different companies, but the worst you will get is a few streaks. Not like the car will explode.

Comment

hahah...yeah...unless I was mixing bomb solution on a very warm sunny day.....hhahah...

About the clay, how do I store it? Do I leave it out in the open to dry, or it would be alright to store it in a ziplock immediately after use?
          It's all a passion....

Comment

Yes, put it right into a zip-lock bag with a spray of QD into the bag.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');