• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which pad to use with #49 RV/Marine oxidation remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which pad to use with #49 RV/Marine oxidation remover

I'll be using this stuff on my boat and on the back of the bottle it says for machine use (rotary buffer) to use a meguiar's mirror glaze cutting pad.

Can someone clue me in as to what pad I should be looking to get? A meguiars part # would be great. I thought I remember reading for boat gelcoat that you should use wool pads for compounding/polishing and not foam pads, is this true?

thanks.

ron7000,

Depending on the condition of the boat, you could use either the W-7000 Foam Cutting Pad, or the W-4000 Cut 'N Shine Wool Pad.

If that is not enough, the M-67 One-Step Compound, used with a wool pad would be the next step up in aggressiveness.

It is a great product that we get many raves on !!!

And once your finished with that step, don't forget to follow with a polish M-45 and/or a Marine wax for maximum protection.

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Re: which pad to use with #49 RV/Marine oxidation remover

Originally posted by ron7000
      I'll be using this stuff on my boat and on the back of the bottle it says for machine use (rotary buffer) to use a Meguiar's mirror glaze cutting pad.

Can someone clue me in as to what pad I should be looking to get? A Meguiar's part # would be great. I thought I remember reading for boat gel-coat that you should use wool pads for compounding/polishing and not foam pads, is this true?

thanks.
      Hi Ron,

Like Mike said, you can use either a wool pad or a foam cutting pad, it kind of depends on how bad the condition of the gel-coat is. Wool pads tend to offer more cutting power than foam but they also tend to leave more swirls in the surface that you'll have to come back and remove.

After you remove the oxidation you'll want to re-polish each square inch with a polishing pad and a polish to remove these swirls and then go over the entire boat to seal it up with a wax, a typical process would look like this,

Step 1 - Remove oxidation using your choice of a either a wool pad or a foam cutting pad and an oxidation remover. We offer 3 different levels of aggressiveness for this job. From least aggressive to most aggressive,

M44 Color Restore
      M49 Oxidation Remover
      M67 One-Step Compound

Meguiar's Marine Cleaners & Compounds

Step 2 - Remove any swirls and restore a high gloss finish, for this you can use our M45 Boat/RV Polish with our foam polishing pad, either the larger 8" pad, W-8000 or the smaller 6" pad, W-8006 using the rotary buffer with an RPM range of 1200 to 1500 RPM

Meguiar's Boat/RV Polish

Step 3 - Apply a coat of wax either by hand or using either a dual action polisher like our G100 or an traditional orbital buffer. For this you can use Meguiar's Premium Flagship Marine Wax.

Meguiar's Marine Waxes

Here's a link to our pads,

Meguiar's Buffing Pads

Hope this helps...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');