• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding new waxing techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding new waxing techniques

I have used Meguiars products for many years now, and since they have came out with new lines I feel as though I need to change my technique. For many years I have used #9 and then go over it with #26, and then when there were deep scratches I used #2 after the #9. Now I have been introduced to #21 and I am going to trying it in the next couple of days. Are there any suggestions that you could give me to get a better protection for my paint and prep before waxing to remove any scratches and contaminates. Thank you.

Well, you certainly are off to a good start... There is a basic patten to follow, but many ways to do it. You want to wash, clay if needed, clean, polish, wax. Are you working by hand or machine?

So, some basic options:

1. Wash - Of course you are using a good Meguiars soap, 2 bucket technique, and good quality sponges / towels.

2. Clay - If you have never clayed before, do it. It is great. Pick up a Smooth Surface Clay kit.

3. Clean - #2 is a cleaner, and would need followed with a polish for best results. #9 is a pretty mild cleaner polish so following with a polish is optional. If working by hand, ScratchX is also a good option. By machine, #80 and #83 are cleaner/polishes that are stronger than #9.

4. Polish - As I said, if you use a cleaner/polish, using a pure polish is optional. With #2, it would be a good idea. #7 Show Car Glaze is a very good pure polish, as is Deep Crystal #2.

5. Wax - I love #21. Remember, 2 thin coats of any wax is best.

Working by hand, this is a nice quick detail I often do, since I have a daily driver.

1. Wash - as above
    2. Clay - as needed
    3. ColorX - This is a fantastic cleaner/wax, to save a few steps.
    4. Wax - Topping ColorX with a coat of #21 gives a great look, and gives the 2 recomended coats of wax.

Hope that gives you some ideas, or give us a few more things about your current techniques.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks Murr 1525,

I use a orbital buffer to apply the cleaner/polish and the wax using a micro fiber bonnet. I usually take it off by hand though using a meguiars micro fiber towel. Is there a better way to remove your polish and wax to give it a better shine?

Is there a special way to apply the #7 "how much pressure to apply and what type of bonnet". Because I have used it before and I could tell very little difference if any

Comment

The Supreme Shine towel is about the best towel to use by hand.

Generaly speaking, one would apply the cleaner/polish/wax with a foam polishing or finishing pad, then remove the cleaners/polishes by hand. Wax you would remove with a MF bonnet on the buffer, which should give a little better shine by hand. But perhaps your machine is designed to do everything with bonnets.

I wouldnt say there is any speacial trick to #7. With using #9, you might not notice much of a difference, since #9 is very mild, and close to a pure polish itself. If you cant see a difference, dont worry about it.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');