• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit off.. but worried about Paint REFlection_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit off.. but worried about Paint REFlection_

Id like to get body work done on a small door dent (about the size of a computer mouse) yet...

I am VERY VERY concerned about the paint matching AS WELL as the reflection of the paint.

The car is a lil over 1 yr old and the paint is nicely reflective as you can see:

So this is off topic but I know theres ppl on here who have done some wetsanding, priming, clear coat applications.. etc so you guys should have a good idea...

I hear the applications of clearcoat must match in order to attaint the same reflection, any input?? Thanks_

Cant you try a paintless dent removal company? (PDR) Or is painting still required?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

PDR will still leave a bit of a wave since its not a reg. dent, its more like a crease..

anyone else have any advice/input? thanks_

Comment

I'd talk to a few PDR techs just to be sure, also as for body work look to high end specialty shops and look at their work. Also explain the level of work you want, set the bar high up front and you'll be fine if you have it re shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 93ZF6
          I'd talk to a few PDR techs just to be sure, also as for body work look to high end specialty shops and look at their work. Also explain the level of work you want, set the bar high up front and you'll be fine if you have it re shot.
          Yeah I agree, ive been doing some research but Ive found no one that has actually had a work done at a place to recommend.. plus I dont have that much $.. not goin through insurance_

Comment

any last good advice before I turn my baby over..? Im still worried =/

Comment

I've had numerous dents removed from my MINI with 100% perfect results from a PDR (Dent Wizard).

From minor golf ball sized door dings, to an incident I had with a tree--about a softball sized dent on my bonnet (hood).

There was a slight crease in one ding, but a little bit of wetsanding, blended things out, and isn't noticeable at all.

As for whether the paint is going to match? I'd be more worried about the damage the body shop is going to do to your whole car--after they buff the paint thinking they are doing you a favor!

Richard
              Richard Lin
              ShowCarDetailing
              5548 E. La Palma Ave
              Anaheim, CA 92807
              toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

By all means have a good PDR tech give it a try. I've had small dings done at body shops (very good ones) and things were worse after they were done -- sanding scratches, dirt in paint, more waves in surface, orange peel not matching factory orange peel, paint not matching (even black). Just a fact of life.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by jayelleseven
                  Yeah I agree, ive been doing some research but Ive found no one that has actually had a work done at a place to recommend.. plus I dont have that much $.. not goin through insurance_

If you don't have much money, PDR is the way to go. Shouldn't cost all that much. I had a ding removed for $65 and it is perfect. Yours will probably cost more, but not more than $100 or so. Plus, you won't have to worry about the paint. Just make the call. PDR guys normally come to your home/work, so it is convenient.

Edit: BTW, my ding was on the door of my black G35, just like yours.

Comment

In the United States, I'm pretty sure Motortrend has a "certified" bodyshop listing. You can check that out.
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

hey thanks guys, I will look into PDR again.. im so concerned ill be content if they do a pretty good job, doesnt have to blow me away.. I'll keep u guys posted if I need more info or wit results_

Comment

pdr

Ive seen pdr guys that do an awesome job and ive also seen some make it look worse
                        just do you homework and ask around
                        most bodyshops have pdr guys do the dent removal before they paint it
                        01 Tacoma 4x4 X/C V6 Imperial Jade

"Oh, oh Marty, here's you keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight"
                        Biff Tannen

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');