• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to remove old wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to remove old wax

I was wondering how often do you have to remove the old wax before you apply the new wax. And what do you use to remove the old wax?

Well, a clay bar and a paint cleaner will remove old wax.

I am not a fan of putting on a new layer of wax every month or so without prepping the paint some, at least with a cleaner/wax. Being a daily driver, I just think there is too much gunk on the paint to drag around and scratch stuff.

But, lots of people do seem to just add a coat of wax every 2 weeks or so, and I dont know if it has any adverse affects for them or not.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I wax my car once a month.

Comment

i have read else where that people like to use Dawn dishwashing soap, i never understood this.. i thought dishwashing soap is bad to use on your car, it strips the paint....

I have never tried this, anyone else done this??
        2004 Mazda6s Blazing Copper w/ Mods...

Comment

Waxing once a month is good, and like I said, if you dont seem to be dragging anything around, then its probably ok. Using a cleaner every 2 or 3 times would probably be best in that case.

And yes, some people do use Dawn, though I dont think any of them are around this forum. It doesnt strip paint persay, but much like it pulls the oils from your hands, it will pull the oils from paint, plastic, rubber, etc. So eventualy, things wil ldry out, crack, etc. Doing it once a year would not ruin your car, but thats still not something I want to do if I dont have to.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');