• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay bar which lubricant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay bar which lubricant?

Alright I searched but couldnt find anything, I also looked in the FAQ. The FAQ said to use quick detailer that it is the best lubricant for the clay. The system came with one bottle but just in case I need more I had already bought some NXT Speed Detailer. Is it alright to use the speed detailer or does it not work as good as the QD? Thanks
    A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it's going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

The NXT Speed Detailer should work just fine and someone correct me here if I am wrong but the sole purpose for even using any sort of liquid detail spray is just to keep it lubricated between the paint surface and the bar of clay. So if I am right here it won't matter which detailer you use as long and there is some form of slick lubricant between the clay and the paint.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

You can also use soapy water... as Snowman said, just to keep lubrication there.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well murr really my question came from one of your posts. You said that you thought QD got more contaminants up than the speed detailer, unless I misinterpreted your post.
        A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it's going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

Comment

Yeah, I think that the QD works better. It seems to grab most stuff on the first pass or two. But this is purely my opinion.

I have a feeling the Nxt Detailer almost makes the surface too slick, almost like the Last Touch does, but not to that extent. Last Touch needs diluted 1:1 with water because it makes the surface so slick the clay cant grab dirt.

You can clay just fine with the Nxt Detailer, but you might need to make a few passes over each spot just to make sure you get everything.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

#34 or QD are both good choices
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

If you want to save some money.. Buy a bottle of NXT carwarsh soap with water and use that while claying. It's very slick. I wouldn't recommend using it with GoldClass carwash..it made my clay bar fall apart.

Comment

There are ingredents in the NXT stuff that add more shine. Those ingredents are very slick. Too slick to use for clay. It will work with clay but using regular QD is better.
                You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info. Since it came with a bottle of QD i'll use it. If it runs out I might have to use the spray detailer. Thanks again for the help, I love this forum. Great knowledge.

Comment

Yep..QD
                    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Yep, QD for me when using the clay bar. I actually bought a big bottle of it at Advance Auto a month ago just for doing the clay. A really big vehicle will take some QD if you do the whole thing.
                      2016 Focus ST

Comment

Any kind of soapy water tends to make clay fall apart.
                        SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Agree with Newport Viper...

We do not recommend the use of water and soap, it can prematurely deteriorate the clay.

The use of Quik Detailer, Speed Detailer, or even Last Touch ( at a 1:1 dilution) is what will give you the best results overall.

Mike
                          Mike Pennington
                          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                          Meguiar's, Inc.
                          800-854-8073
                          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington
                            Agree with Newport Viper...

We do not recommend the use of water and soap, it can prematurely deteriorate the clay.

The use of Quik Detailer, Speed Detailer, or even Last Touch ( at a 1:1 dilution) is what will give you the best results overall.

Mike
                            So will it benefit more if I diluted it instead of using QD full strength?
                            2016 Focus ST

Comment

QD and Speed Detailer need to be "as is"...You do not dilute them like Last Touch

Mike
                              Mike Pennington
                              Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                              Meguiar's, Inc.
                              800-854-8073
                              mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');