• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using polish over holes from "falling rocks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using polish over holes from "falling rocks"

Sorry, dont know the right translation of small rocks which hit the paint during driving, google says "falling rocks", dont know if its right - but I believe you know what I mean.

I did a PC job with #80 a few weeks ago. Everything was fine. At the end of the job i got shocked: A lot of small white holes could be found in some areas of the hood! After I talked with the owner, I realized that these holes have been in the paint before detailing: Holes from "falling rocks"! I believe that the #80 filled up the holes and now its white colored. I tried to get it away with a MF towel, with the slidelock brush, with a little bit of speed detailer... NOTHING. Its still white! I know that the holes are not my fault, but they where "grey" in the beginning and not so visibly - now everbody who takes a look on the hood can see these holes because they are completely WHITE! The rest of the paint is looking great but this area is horrible...

Any solutions do get lost of the white color and to prevent this the next time I use PC? I will do much more detailing jobs in next week and I`m afraid that one time a customer will come back and tell me its my fault... A solution would be to avoid these areas, but if there are small holes all over a hood, what can I do?

This topic has come up in the past and what most people recommended was to pressure wash the hood or the affected area and in essence blast the residual polish out of the holes.

Note this is what our forum members recommended, not anyone from Meguiar's as it is a problem with paint that has a lot of rock chips in it.

It's really an unavoidable problem and the only honest cure is to repaint the car. In the future, point the rock chip problem out to the customer, explain to them their is no easy or unavoidable procedure and perhaps even consider turning the work down and let another detailer enjoy the work.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');