• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to wash too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to wash too much?

I have a 2001 Cougar that I love to keep clean but we moved and dont have a garage yet, but due to tree debris and bird **** I have been washing my car everyweek atleast. This might be stupid but I worry about the inside of my doors constantly being damp from me washing again and again and them rusting out prematurely. Is this a concern or am I being silly?

Washing weekly is the best preventative measure you can do to avoid any damage to the finish. It will help to remove any contaminants that could build-up over time and it will also make maintenance of your finish much easier.
    Jeff

Comment

Re: is it possible to wash too much?

Originally posted by asm505
      I have a 2001 Cougar that I love to keep clean but we moved and don't have a garage yet, but due to tree debris and bird **** I have been washing my car every week at least. This might be stupid but I worry about the inside of my doors constantly being damp from me washing again and again and them rusting out prematurely. Is this a concern or am I being silly?

You will be alright on washing it every week. I do mine every week without any problems. I just make sure I dry out the door jambs to keep them from water spotting. I usually hit the door jambs with some DC#1 and some DC#3 to keep them shiny. It makes drying wash water off much easier too. As long as your finish is not chipped to bare metal in the door jambs, you shouldn't have to worry about rust. Now during the winter months, I would make sure the belly of the car is kept free from road salt. That can cause problems in the long run if not taken care of right.
      2016 Focus ST

Comment

Do you dry all the door jams? I always do to keep down on rust and to make them look good. I like to drive it around alittle after washing it to get all the water out of all cracks and crevises.
        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

I am talking more about the inside of the door that you cannot dry. I keep the drains clear but I still worry about them rusting from the inside out.

Comment

I am talking more about the inside of the door that you cannot dry. I keep the drains clear but I still worry about them rusting from the inside out.
            The inside of the doors are painted to some extent, so water in those areas won't hurt. If you let a salt mixture stay inside the door for a long periord of time, then you might have problems.
            2016 Focus ST

Comment

Ahh, I see. There are so many people on here that wash their car once a week its not funny. Im sure you wont have any problems with the door rusting from the inside out.
              Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

If this really is worrying you then you can do what i did back in 1977 I bought a brand new Ford pickup and after it was undercoated I removed the door panels and used spray cans to put undercoating on the inside of the doors.I still own the truck and it has not rusted yet. Yes it has been redone a few times down through the years. If you trade like most people do it would not be worth the trouble because it will last for years without doing this.
                Black Bart

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');