• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Paint From Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Paint From Pads

I want to polish a Ford Explorer that has single stage paint and it loads the pad with paint pigment. Soap and water don't remove it very well what should i use that won't ruin my pads
    Black Bart

I detailed a GMC pickup the other day that had been wrecked a few years ago and one of the doors was replaced w/ a door that was single stage whille the rest of the truck is CC. I got major red paint load on my 83 and 80 pads. I used APC (Meguiars ALL Purpose Cleaner @ 10:1 ratio) and cleaned up perfectly. There isn't even a tint of red left on the pad and believe me, the entire pad was RED when I got done w/ the door.

Comment

Originally posted by LAfirefytr
      I detailed a GMC pickup the other day that had been wrecked a few years ago and one of the doors was replaced w/ a door that was single stage whille the rest of the truck is CC. I got major red paint load on my 83 and 80 pads. I used APC (Meguiars ALL Purpose Cleaner @ 10:1 ratio) and cleaned up perfectly. There isn't even a tint of red left on the pad and believe me, the entire pad was RED when I got done w/ the door.
      Do you think that the apc did any damage to the pads.
      I was thinking about trying apc but wanted to get input from someone who had tried it. THANKS for the reply
      Black Bart

Comment

X2 on APC, I even mix it at a slightly stronger ratio, about 6:1.

Comment

I spray my pads down w/ the APC after I'm done and let them sit in a bucket for a day or so and then rinse them out and respray if needed. I've never had any issues with it affecting the pads. Once I get about 10 microfiber towels that are in need of cleaning I soak them in an AJAX and water solution for a day or so and if I have any pads that I need to clean ( from 83/80/21 buildup) I will soak them in AJAX as well.
          I use my APC for everything: carpet stains, pre-treating clothes stains, cleaning my deck, concrete driveway, tires, ect. I keep 3 different bottles each with different mix ratios and use accordingly.

Comment

I just did an early 90's Toyota 4 Runner today that had single stage paint and it loaded up my pads too. But...I always get my pads perfectly clean with Dawn (blue) dish soap. I put a generous amount of the blue Dawn dish soap all over the pad and work it into the pad so its completely covered. Then I put a little water on the pad and work the soap in further. By this time, the pad should be filled with thick foamy soap. Then I'll put the pad under a running fawcett and work the foam / soap out out of the pad by pressing my thumbs into the center section of the foam and working the thick goop of paint / polish / soap outwards. It will take a little bit of time to get all the foam out of the pads and your sink will be filled with suds & foam, but your pads should come out looking like new.

I also clean all my microfiber towels with Dawn blue dish soap and they come out perfect in most cases. Where ever there are stains on my microfiber towles (even dark black stains), I'll completely cover all the stains with a generous amount of the blue Dawn soap and then I'll squirt a bunch all over the towl. Then I'll lay the towl in the sink with just a little water in there and let it sit for a halft hour. Then I'll briskly slide my hands over the wet soapy towls so they have a nice soapy film all over them and I'll work the stains out with my hands. Then I put them in the washer with some Woolite and they come out like new. I've tried just putting them in the washer using Woolite without pre-treating them, but the pre-treatment makes all the difference in the world for me. And the sink gets nice and clean while doing this

The APC is probably quicker and easier to use, but I've got gallons of the blue Dawn soap on hand. Plus, I can get the kitchen sink cleaned at the same time, watch TV, chat with the kids, etc.

Comment

I have a couple gallons of simple green I will try that and see how it works. Thanks guy's
              Black Bart

Comment

I use APC also. I haven't noticed any concerns. I clean them right after use and lay them face down on a grit guard until dry.
                Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');