• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I need a new paint job on my hood now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need a new paint job on my hood now...

Well, Washed the truck today and noticed a few hazy looking spots on my hood on the passengerside up by the firewall area. I got out the G100 with the 8006 pad speed 5 and proceded to clean it up some. After the first pass I noticed it had not done much. I gave it one more pass and this is what I ended up with!

Needless to say, I think I have some thin paint on the hood of my truck. The surface is still smooth all around the area. Not sure if I burned through the clear coat, but if I run my fingers all over the outter haze and into the center of it there is no change. But in the center you sure can see that the black paint is gone.

That's too bad

And some say that the PC can't be used to remove swirls and minor scratches, because it can't remove paint Well, I guess this would prove them wrong

In the last pic, it looks like you burned through the clear in the hazy ring around the white spot, and in the center area went through the pigmented paint.

Which product did you use with the PC?
    "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
    - Back To The Future

Comment

I used #80 on the hood..

I have odd paint. Not sure if its soft or if its scratch sensitive, If I use #80 I have fine micro marring and have to use #82 to clear it up.. I mostly been using #82 because the is really doing good for me.

It ***** I have to re-paint, but then again, I can get all my rock chips fixed. Im not happy, but then again I am in a way.

Nick

Comment

Yikes!

Just goes to show that the PC can also cause damage if the paint is very thin....

This is the very reason I always have my paint thickness gauage with me when detailing, espeically as I do a lot of cars that dont belong to me.

Sorry to see this has happened...
        "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Comment

I had a 1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport wagon that I bought new.

The paint was so thin on the tailgate that when they washed and waxed it prior to delivery ( against my wishes ) I could see primer.

The dealership sent it to their bodyshop.. who repainted the tailgate, but a different shade of white!

The second time it was repainted, it was at a shop I chose.. who matched the color spot on!

It is possible that there was a thin spot in the paintwork. It does happen...
          Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
          Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

I would not doubt that. My girlfriend "used" to drive my truck, until it ended up in the body shop 2 times due to her. I cant remember off hand if they paint the hood or not. I have to get into my filing cabinet to check my file on my truck and see.

Here is a better shot of the area I just took..

The rest of the hood and truck look great except for that whole side from the body line on the hood to the passender side fender.

Nick

Comment

Stopped at a body shop today and they are going to repaint the hood on the 28th for $380.00.

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Good speaking with you on the phone, we're sorry to hear about the mishap...
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've actually seen and done something similar to this. It actually turned out to be a factory flaw from the factory. I guess what happens (I got this from a professional painter) is sometimes things dont get clear coated well enough because the spray guns get clogged because no one cleans them out at the end of the day. He also told me that it can happen if the clear doesn't get mixed right.

Comment

It was a quite the suprise when that happened to me. Body Shops painter determined that the clear coat is extremely thin on the hood only since she spent a half hour with her paint thickness gauge checking multiple spots over the rest of the truck and that is thick compared to the hood. I told her that I used a DA polisher and I have Meguiars 80,82,83 and she said that combination was not at fault for what had happened. It was a defect in the paint system. She also stated Meguiars is used in the shop and they never experienced any problems with any of Meguiars products except awesome results. She stated she would put enough paint and enough clear to give me alot of time in the future to polish it.

Comment

Thats good that they're going to fix you up. If I were you I would try getting the company that made your car to foot the bill.

Just out of curiousity, is the car a nissan?

Comment

Originally posted by Hondastrail
                        Thats good that they're going to fix you up. If I were you I would try getting the company that made your car to foot the bill.

Just out of curiousity, is the car a nissan?
                        Nope, Its a 2005 GMC Z71 truck! The dealer here changed hands and they are not very customer friendly unless you are buying a new vehicle. I did go talk to them at there body shop and basically I was told that there was no such thing as thin/soft clear and I worked it way too hard with the wrong buffer and caused that to happen. I left and went to Olsons auto body for a estimate and that said the opposite of the dealers body shop. So Im scheduled to get it fixed on the 5th.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');