• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cleaning plan.. got a question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cleaning plan.. got a question!

alright.. so I'm getting my car all done up and have a question... Which of these processes do I not need to do for the windows/glass. I plan on using Rain-X for the windows.

1) Meguiar's Gold car shampoo to wash

2) Blackmagic Tire Gel

3) Mother's Clay Bar

4) Meguiar's Step 1 DeepCrystal Paint Cleaner

5) Meguiar's Step 2 DeepCrystal Polish

6) Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax

7) Meguiar's quick Detailer to finish (not sure if I need this right away after waxing)

So which of these should I not do on the windows/glass, when should I apply the Rain-X, and when should I use Meguiar's scratchX to remove scratches in the paint?

Another question is which these steps can I do on the brakes disc? (sorry for the newbieness! the shiny steel disc behind the rims)

Thanks guys!

First, I would use the smooth surface clay kit and not the mothers. I heard they make one of the worst clay bars out there.

For the windows, you need to clean them before applying rainx. I would suggest getting Stoners, or Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner.

Theres not a heck of alot you can do the brake disc because as soon as you drive a mile they are just going to get dirty again.

Also, there is no need to use QD to finish the wax job. Infact, I would let the wax cure for 12hours before you go over it with something other than wax.
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

BTW.. to MOL. You will find there is a TON of info here and many knowledgeable members here to help you out.
      2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

1. Wash - Good. Remember to use two-bucket method and good sponges/towels. I also do my wheels first, using the Multi-Piece whee lcleaner. Then get clean water, and do the car.

2 Clay - If you havent bought clay yet, I agree to avoid Mothers. Clay Magic is ok if you cant find Meguiars. Remember yo ucan clay paint -> Trim/Glass -> Wheels-> Muffler/Tips in that order ONLY.

3. Clean - ScratchX on bad spots. DC#1 everyhing else.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

4. Polish - DC#2 is good.

5. Wax - GC is good wax. Remember 2 thin coats is best.

6. Tires - Never used Black Magic, but you can try it.

7. Glass - Nxt Glass Cleaner or Stoners are good. Then RainX.

6. Maintain - A spray detailer or quick wax after future washings is nice to keep a fresh shine.

How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes

Your brake disks will tend to get a very thin coat of rust on them after washing, esp. if you use a wheel cleaner. All you need to do is roll about 5 feet forward with your foot on the brakes and they will be clean again.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank guys! yeah, this is my first post! and I can already tell there's quite a community here!

So if I'm reading this correctly,

- I don't have to use anything (clay bar, paint cleaner, polish, or wax) on the windows.. just the stoners or Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner and the Rain-X.

- not to worry about the disc for the brakes

- take back the Mother's clay bar and get meguiar's or Clay Magic

I'm getting there!

Comment

Originally posted by tayzzer22
            Thank guys! yeah, this is my first post! and I can already tell there's quite a community here!

So if I'm reading this correctly,

- I don't have to use anything (clay bar, paint cleaner, polish, or wax) on the windows.. just the stoners or Meguiar's NXT glass cleaner and the Rain-X.
            Yes, for the most part. I say this because I'm not sure how old your car is, nor if your windows have any impurities on them. One of the biggest concerns when it comes to windows are water spots. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend anything that you may have in your area because we have a locally made and (as far as I know) locally sold product especially for water spots on windows. But if you do indeed have water spots, contact me via PM and may be we can work something out. However, run your hand over the windows while the window is wet, or under a slight stream of water running over your window, feeling for any other impurities. If you want to be safe, claying your windows won't hurt.

- not to worry about the disc for the brakes
            Yes, do not worry about these, for reasons previously given by MikeGT and Murr.

- take back the Mother's clay bar and get meguiar's or Clay Magic
            Do note that if you purchase the latter, you need to purchase a clay lubricant (i.e. Meguiar's Last Touch, Quik Detailer, etc.)

However, if purchasing the Smooth Surface Clay Kit by Meguiars, it includes a bottle of the clay lube.

If you decide to purchase the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clay, then you would also need to purchase a lube.

Welcome and good luck!

Comment

When I picked up Clay Magic a while back, it had a lubricant in it. Small bottle though, best to get a bottle of Quick Detailer at least as well. Always want to use plenty of lubricant.

And yes, as MaxImage says, claying glass is optional. But if all of your paint has stuff bonded on and needs clayed, there is a good chance your glass does too.

It sounds like you are fairly concerned with glass.. just in case claying and a glass cleaner doesnt work for your spots, etc, you can either contact MaxImage or give this a read as well:

Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For wheels, you may consider Meguiar's GC Wheel Cleaner as it has an anti-static effect to reduce brake dust reappearing on the wheels.
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');