• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here with a dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here with a dumb question

Hello to everyone! I've been reading this forum for quite a while and now I've got a really stupid question..

My car is going to be featured in a magazine on Friday. I've applied a layer of Nxt Gen liquid wax to the body but now I'm itching for the second layer..

My question is, should I properly hose down and wash the car before applying the second layer? The car has been sitting for a day in the garage but there are dust particles on it. I've been thinking about wiping those off with a damp cloth but I'd like to hear the opinions of all the pros here.. I have a feeling that if I hose it and wash it, the layer of Nxt Gen might be washed off (well maybe not, but it might be thinner than it was, if you get what I mean)..

Secondly, I was wondering if, for my second layer, I use the same Nxt Gen wax, is it going to scrub off the first layer or is it going to add to it?

Lastly, I really want to know the durability of the new NxtGen wax. I tend to leave my car outdoor (with a cover) quite often and have little time to care about it as I have to travel around all the time.. I don't even drive it much..

Thank you for any input, they'll be grately appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Welcome Jeff!

First, I hope your simply not "waxing" your car and calling it a day. Because you can achieve much greater results when you do a 5step process such as:

Wash and dry (nxt, or gold class)
    Clay bar (smooth surface)
    Cleaner(DC#1)
    Polish(DC#2, or #7)
    Wax x2

Now personally to get back to your question, I would do a quick wash and dry and put another layer on. It will add to what you currently have. and washing the car wont really have any effect on the wax you have on it now.
    Durability? Nxt is one of meguiars best waxes out there.
    If you really do not want to wash and dry it again, doing a quick touchup around the car with Nxt "speed detailer" would be your next best option. Its a handly product to have on hand anyhow!

Hope that helps a little!
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Cheers for the very helpful reply Mike! I did wash and dry my car but whoops I use Turt*e Platinum car shampoo..

So, I should be washing my car again with shampoo and drying it before applying the wax.. I have 1 further question though, I use one of those extra absorbant cloths available in my local accessories store. I can dry the car in a jiffy but my friend told me that that cloth will wear down the layer of wax.. Hence I am unsure whether to use that extra absorbant cloth..

On the bit about the 5 step.. I do the 1st step everytime.. However, I only clay the car once in a while (maybe once in 2 months) and I use the 3M Cleaner wax after that..

Nxt is the first Meguiar's product I've bought apart from the applicators and other misc stuff.. It surely did shock me and I will be looking into replacing all my current car wash and wax, and whatever you name it, products with Meguiar's ones.

Cheers and thanks once again,
      Jeff

Comment

In my opinion, you don't have to buy new products to achieve the best resulst. A lot of people use drifferent products from different brands that work for them. Like Mike Phillips says,"find something you like and use it often"
        Ideally, you want to stick with one brand but is not the norm.

Also, you don't need to wash again your car because you used a car wash shampoo from Turtle wax. Its ok, because is formulated to wash cars. At least you didn't use dish washer soap!. Once you used all your car wash shampoo, you can try something different. Personally, I like the NXT car wash because of its cleaning ability, but I also like Gold Class (currently using) because it make the paint really slick.

About your friend's comment regarding that a supper absorbant cloth will wear down the wax, he is a bit missinformed. Technically, a layer of wax is a sacrificial barrier between the car's paint and the eviroment. Every time you touch your car, even in a normal driving and washing, this layer wears out slowly (then time to re-wax your car) unless something harsh gets in contact with like bird droppings, dish washer soap, or any type of degreasers and industrial cleaners.
        In summary, you don't need to worry about using a supper absorbant cloth. I use it all the time, but make sure it is clean otherwise will scratch your paint.

By the way, I am hopping that I can get another opportunity to visit Hong Kong again.

Cheers!
        Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Cheers for the reply mate. I've just applied another layer of Nxt to my car and it's looking great, for sure it is ready for the magazine photoshoot tomorrow.

So you've visited HK before? I hope the stay was a pleasant one cux IMO some of the people here can be a bit rude sometimes.. It is important to try to stay away from the dodgy places cux those people will not understand even a single word of English!

Comment

Glad to hear that you like the results
            Yes, I have been twice in HK before. The first time when I was like 10 years old with my parents to visit my grandma. The second time was in my honeymoon almost 4 years ago.

I agree, some people there are rude but what you can say when you live in a really crowded place. I do speak the language about 60%, but I can't read nor write chinese because I never had the chance to learn. At least my wife knows how to... well, most of the time. The good thing if I get lost, I ask for the nearst subway station and quickly find my way around.

Yes, I had a good time shopping for the latest electronic gadgets and R/C cars stuffs in Kowloon while my wife had a blast shopping for clothes... go figure...

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. Glad to help... so let us know if you have any question or problem regarding how to keep your car shining! By the way, don't forget to post pictures..
            Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Ooooohhh Yes!
              I took some pics myself during the magazine photoshoot but I'm not allowed to share too much before the mag comes out.. So, here goes 1 of the pics...

Anyway, here goes my pride and joy.. I love it to bits cux it brings back my memories when I was still young (well, younger).. It was owned by my dad since new.. It is a 1994 W124.. 80% done restoring the car.. Mechanically all that can be replaced is replaced.. However, I'm still waiting for a brand new paint job and am also debating whether to mount new leathers in the interior.. Looks great as it is IMO haha but I'm very very seriously biased.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyli86
                Ooooohhh Yes!
                I took some pics myself during the magazine photoshoot but I'm not allowed to share too much before the mag comes out.. So, here goes 1 of the pics...

Anyway, here goes my pride and joy.. I love it to bits cux it brings back my memories when I was still young (well, younger).. It was owned by my dad since new.. It is a 1994 W124.. 80% done restoring the car.. Mechanically all that can be replaced is replaced.. However, I'm still waiting for a brand new paint job and am also debating whether to mount new leathers in the interior.. Looks great as it is IMO haha but I'm very very seriously biased.

Hi Jeff. Car looks good. Might want to take some "close-up" pictures of it next time. We like looking at any car, but we really like seeing the finish. Let's us know how the photo shoot went.
                2016 Focus ST

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');