• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College life vs my trucks paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College life vs my trucks paint

Ok Im in college and my folks have yet to let me take my truck, but they will soon hopefully. I have this HUGE GINORMOUS question to ask, since I am an advid amature detailer and like having flawless paint. After seeing my buddies cars with etched in wate spots, I dont want to see that happen cause it would be very hard for me to get rid of those spots.

So right now what would you guys suggest? just deal with it and buy #80 or #81 (too poor to own a DA) and do it all by hand or buy a car cover to put over it and risk having some one stealing it/ key it cause this beautiful truckis under it/ putting up with it like where to put it in such. WHat do u guys think?

You do not have to deal with the water spots. Wax if every 3months or so and wash it at least once a week. Im at college but have gone home every weekend since it started. I have 2 gallons of distilled water in my jeep and plan on going to a car wash and use their rinse water to wet the jeep then use the distilled water in a bucket and wash the jeep. Then rinse with the pressure washer at the car wash.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

I agree, keeping a coat of wax on it will protect quite well against water spots. Though I would suggest to rewax more often to make sure the car is well protected. Maybe use a Quick wax a couple of times a month, after washing.

Why the distilled water? Is the water at those DIY car washes bad in some way? We don't have them where I live, so I wouldn't know.

I was going to suggest washing with one of those no rinse washes, even though Meg's don't make one...
      "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
      - Back To The Future

Comment

That was the first thing that i picked up at walmart. I thought it would be alittle hard to fill the bucket up with the pressure coming out of the wand.

Comment

oh thanks for the response, it just that, well Ive had bad experience with water spots. would u suggest a cleaner wax or just a regular wax like GC or NXT?

Comment

Depends what your wanting to do. If you want to do it all in one step, use the cleaner wax. If you want to break it down, use cleaner, polish, then a wax of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLibby04
              That was the first thing that i picked up at walmart. I thought it would be alittle hard to fill the bucket up with the pressure coming out of the wand.
              Heh, I see, thought they might have a faucet... Although filling the bucket with the wand could be fun, suds everywhere...
              "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
              - Back To The Future

Comment

thanks again u guys for helping me out here

Comment

sorry u guys but umm what would u suggest to attack this prob. just go out to my truck after it has rained and just spray it down with a quik wax, or should I go wash it off dry it down and then spray on the wax?

Comment

Well, you're going to want to wash it before you apply a wax. If you dont, I'd expect some major swirling to occur.

I feel your pain as a college student. And I'm sorry to say it, but I can't keep my car in the most pristine condition. It still is the best-kept car in the parking lot, but after a rain I do not immediately go out and wash the car. Instead, I wait. I wait until the weekend before I go out on dates. Then, my car is shining and I can show it off.
                    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

lol, yea I know I am suppose to wash my truck before applying the wax just that the guys before didnt really give me any instruction. Well where i am (Out in the middle of nowhere) I will have plenty of time to wash and wax my truck. Plus no one stays on the weekends so Ill have this huge parkin lot all to myself. Im just really concerned about my trucks paint seeing as its my baby in all, Ive seen my dads truck and its horrible, its got water spots all over it, some spots look like there on top of the other, and I vowed to never let my truck go like that. But if I do some how get H20 spots on my paint what would u recommend to remove them, Im not that good using ScratchX seeing as by the time I apply a little bit im exhausted and dont feel up to doing the rest.

Comment

If you keep the truck washed(at least every weekend) and waxed, then you shouldnt get any water spots. Bird poo may be a problem but the spots should be aight.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');