• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best product to remove wax on exterior trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best product to remove wax on exterior trim

No matter how carefull I was waxing my new 2500HD truck , it was inevitable that I would get a few wax spots on my trim and fender flairs. Of all the fantastic products MeGuiars makes, what would be the best product to use to remove wax and keep the fender flairs and trim looking new?

I am also thinking about switching to #26 because I have heard that it has a durable protection with a deep wet look, does anyone know if I need to be concerned about touching that wax on the trim with that wax? I have heard that certain waxes are "plastic compatible" and don't leave white spots.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Best product to remove wax on exterior trim

#39 Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner.. and a soft tooth brush.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Peanut Butter (the creamy kind). Works like a charm.

Comment

I used #40 the other day and it worked well. I just rubbed it in with a terry cloth.
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing
        Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
        2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Try using painters tape next time. It take a little time apply it over the plastic pieces, but it beats going back and using a cleaner over the areas you got wax on. Hi Tech Yellow wax might help out. It dries clear, but if you happen to apply to thick and it gets on the plastic it still going to dry white.

Originally posted by Duramax Dreamin View Post
          No matter how carefull I was waxing my new 2500HD truck , it was inevitable that I would get a few wax spots on my trim and fender flairs. Of all the fantastic products MeGuiars makes, what would be the best product to use to remove wax and keep the fender flairs and trim looking new?

I am also thinking about switching to #26 because I have heard that it has a durable protection with a deep wet look, does anyone know if I need to be concerned about touching that wax on the trim with that wax? I have heard that certain waxes are "plastic compatible" and don't leave white spots.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comment

#39 and then some #40.
            You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Thank you everyone ...

I tried the #40 (supply store didn't have #39 available) and a soft toothbrush, I am happy to say that with a little elbow grease it does work!

While I was at the store, they had the "Gold Class" triple duty detail brush so I thought I would give that a try. Believe it or not, I didn't have to use any cleaner and it took all the wax off without scratching the plastic!! Looked like I never got wax on it at all, then I used #40 and it looked showroom new again : )) BTW, Mequiars suggested on the back of the detail brush packaging to use the "Quick Detailer" and let it soak a little bit for stubborn wax stains (didn't try it, because I didn't need to).

Last but not least, I had to try chragersrt8s/c peanut butter on one section just cause I was currious (and I had it anyway), I was truely amazed. Before I posted this message I had rubbed and rubbed with the towel and I couldn't get it off, I rubbed a little peanut butter on a towel and with very little effort the wax came right off (great tip). This can be used this in those tight areas that were difficult to move the brush back and forth.

While next time I plan on either putting tape on the trim (or putting #40 on - another suggested item) prior to waxing, I wanted to thank you all for the helping me get rid of the existing wax.. Your advice was greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');