• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning without clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning without clay

Hi all,

New to the forum and very impressed with all the talk and hints on car washing.

My last new car 14 years ago I was a fan of using Meguiars Soft scrub, #7, and then covering up with zymol.

I went a few years without the ability to wash my car (lived in a apartment no car wash facilities) and got away from washing my car religiously.

I've got a new car again and getting back into the car wax obsession.

Anyways my question is that before all I did was use something like soft scrub cleaner, and now my plan is to use DC cleaner. In the past soft scrub would clean and create a very smooth finish on my car. What difference does the clay do? I read that some people even clay to create a smooth finish and then clean.

Will not just using the cleaner restore a smooth finish to a car? If I use the cleaner and I get a smooth finish, is there any advantage to claying vs just using a cleaning product.

I'm thinking that cleaning is absolutly neccessary to create a clean surface for polishing and the last step wax to bond to.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Gidgit.

Re: cleaning without clay

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, and planning to work by hand?

Basically:
    1. Wash - Gets the big loose dirt
    2. Clay - Gets the bonded on above surface contaminants. A foam pad like when cleaning will actually slide over these, rather than grab and remove them.
    3. Clean - A paint cleaner will get the dirt out of the pores of the paint.
    4. Polish - Fills n the pores with polishing oils to create a gloss and reflection.
    5. Wax - A sacrificial barrier against the elements, plus some gloss of its own.

You can either do a full detail, clean, polish ,wax ( 2 coats), or a quicker detail with a cleaner/wax and then a coat of wax, but either way, claying as needed will give the smoothest and glossiest finish.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: cleaning without clay

Originally posted by gidgit View Post
      What difference does the clay do?
      i used #66 via g100 last week and i clayed before hand (usually do before polishing) even though it didn't really need it. glad i did, because it picked up quite a few contaminants to my surprise...

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');