• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing?

i live here in philippines so meguiars products do cost alot. so far i got a smooth surface clay kit, deep crystal paint cleaner, polish & carnauba wax. my question is do i need to wash my car after claying it and do i have to apply the cleaner after i clayed it? and also since i have a deep crystal paint cleaner, do i still need to put a scratch X? and oh, i will be only doin it by hand. hope somebody can answer my question. . . thanks! ! !
    before u rev em up, shine em up!

Re: detailing?

Some prefer to clay the whole car, and then wash the car again to get the residue off. I find it easier to wipe the residue off with a microfibre towel, after claying a section (before it dries). You can try it both ways, and see what you like best.

Both DC cleaner (DC1) and ScratchX is paint cleaners, DC1 is the least agressive of those two. If you need to remove swirls or small scratches by hand, you will probably get the best/fastest result using ScratchX. Both need to be worked in very well though, and it will take a lot of work to remove defects by hand. You might consider doing just a couple of panels a day.

The process would be:
    Wash -> Clay -> ScratchX/DC1 -> Polish -> Wax

Which car are you working on, and how is the condition of the paint?

Here's a few helpful threads:
    How To Remove Swirls By Hand
    Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
    - Back To The Future

Comment

there are too many products, lol cant keep up with them all right now, lol
      I want the best look with the best results and the quickest job, which is very quick I know, I have bought but havent recieved the polisher and some different pads and such, I have some bad swirls and going to use #83, and then #7, and then #21, do you think I need to use something between the #83 and #7, or should that work, tried scrach x buy hand and that didnt work for me, doing the whole car by hand is for the younger guys!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by frustrateddetailer View Post
        i live here in philippines so meguiars products do cost alot. so far i got a smooth surface clay kit, deep crystal paint cleaner, polish & carnauba wax. my question is do i need to wash my car after claying it and do i have to apply the cleaner after i clayed it? and also since i have a deep crystal paint cleaner, do i still need to put a scratch X? and oh, i will be only doin it by hand. hope somebody can answer my question. . . thanks! ! !
        Theres really no need to wash it after you clay it..a paint cleaner will do it just fine. Since your using a M F towel and quick detailer, thats 'cleaning' it up anyhow. It wont hurt to apply both S-X and DC1, but most people just do one or the other.

btw,
        2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

i'm working on a civic. 99 model 4 door VTi. i think it has a single stage paint and by the way i see it, it's oxidized and has swirls. and oh by the way, thanks a lot for the info! !
          before u rev em up, shine em up!

Comment

Originally posted by frustrateddetailer View Post
            i'm working on a civic. 99 model 4 door VTi. i think it has a single stage paint and by the way i see it, it's oxidized and has swirls. and oh by the way, thanks a lot for the info! !
            Oh yeah, that's gonna take a lot of work, but try doing a couple of panels a day. Like the old saying goes:

A couple of panels a day,
            takes the swirls and oxidation away.

Well, I think that's how the saying goes...

- Back To The Future

Comment

Originally posted by hammer55 View Post
              there are too many products, lol cant keep up with them all right now, lol
              I want the best look with the best results and the quickest job, which is very quick I know, I have bought but havent recieved the polisher and some different pads and such, I have some bad swirls and going to use #83, and then #7, and then #21, do you think I need to use something between the #83 and #7, or should that work, tried scrach x buy hand and that didnt work for me, doing the whole car by hand is for the younger guys!!!!
              You know, it might be better with a new thread on this subject

But anyway, I think you can only know after you try. If #83 leaves marring or haze, you need to follow with a milder cleaner/polish. And since you have a black car this might very well turn out to be the case.
              - Back To The Future

Comment

Ive always read it best to use #80 after #83.

Ive never clayed the entire car before, on the tops of every surface..
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');