• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clay questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clay questions

If i have previously waxed my car if i clay my car will it work with that coat of wax on? and should i get the smooth serfacing kit or i more mild or agressive clay and would it hurt to use it ?

Re: clay questions

If the contaiminates are on there after you placed the wax on, it will remove them really easily and should leave some if not most of the wax on as it 'grabs' them but if they are on there before you waxed then you would be better to use a paint cleaner followed by the clay.

Hope this is right (I'm still learning as well)

Trev

Comment

I have heard claying doesnt work quite as well on a fresh coat of wax, but after a week or two you can clay fine. Basicaly, if there is dirt on the surface before waxing, the dirt and the wax are both sticking up, so the clay can still grab everything it needs to to level the surface.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Claying will almost certainly remove or at the very least reduce the layer of wax. With any claying procedure you should include re-waxing in your final step.
        4Rings

Comment

Originally posted by kadidle77 View Post
          If i have previously waxed my car if i clay my car will it work with that coat of wax on?
          Yes. Detailing clay contains a special type of abrasive that simply put will abrade or sand-off anything sticking up above the surface referred to as above surface bonded contaminants. Claying will also remove most of the wax sitting on top of the surface so you always need to re-wax the paint after claying.

Originally posted by kadidle77 View Post
          and should i get the smooth surface kit or i more mild or aggressive clay and would it hurt to use it ?
          The clay in our Smooth Surface Clay Kit works perfectly for the majority of all claying needs.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');