• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying touchup paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying touchup paint?

Well, after 5 months my 2006 Dodge Charger got it's first ding. Passenger opened the door and bumped the edge of the door into a old truck that had parked next to me. I stopped by the dealership and got some touchup paint that Dodge matched to my VIN. Car is black. The nick is very subtle, but did get scraped down to the primer. I applied the paint (pen tip applicator) but of course I'm not happy with the results. It's...smudgy?

Any suggesttions on smoothing this out.

Matt

Re: Applying touchup paint?

guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27
    here is an article to help you out, I have never had good luck with touch up paint, but I wish you the best of luck!
    VTEC: all the lag, none of the turbo

Comment

I agree about the touch up pens. I got one of them auto sharp pens. They fill in the chip but they usually smudge pretty badly. It is hard to do because once you put the marker into the chip usually it puts too much paint and actually leaves excess paint. If anyone knows any tricks to prevent that, please let me know.

Comment

The best tip for using the pens is to not do it. Bottled paint with the finest artists’ brush you can get your hands on is your best bet. You may be able to rub the pen on a clean, hard object and get enough paint to pick up with a brush.

Keep some lacquer thinner handy to clean up the brush when you’re done. A good brush will last a long time if properly cared for.

There are also tiny disposable paint applicators (daubers) available through paint shops and resto suppliers like Eastwood.

PC.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');