• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Noooooo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Noooooo!!!

Hello every one hopefully you all are doing well. I have a question on how to remove water spots fast easy and without doing a big mess? I finished doing the last step medallion wax with W-9000 on the pc. I went home on friday for the weekend and it rained pretty hard. I came back on Monday and some one did not pull the car in and there were water marks on top of the finish etch in real good. So I did my best to remove them but it was messy and time taking. Thanks for the help and time you guys have a good day.

Re: Water Noooooo!!!

I suppose this all depends on your definition of the word "Messy". Heres how I see it:

To answer you question about water spots you have to determine if the water spots are above the paint or etched into the surface. If the water spots are above the paint you want to use a product called Quik Clay Detailing System. The proper use of the clay bar goes like this:

1. Wash and dry your vehicle.

2. Wad clay up into a ball then flatten like a hamburger patty.

3. Spray Quik Detailer on the surface liberally so it is very slick.

4. Use the clay on sections of the car (1/2 hood, etc.)5. Using the four fingers of your hand (minus your thumb), glide the clay over the lubricated section. Work the clay up and down, side to side, etc. Imagine that you are gliding a hockey puck over a slick ice surface. It's also a good idea to have the Quik Detailer in your other hand to spray and add extra lubrication if needed.

6. Once a section has been "clayed", take a clean, dry towel and dry off the area. The area should feel as smooth as glass. If it doesn't yet, keep using the clay until it does. Once the surface is as smooth as you want it, you can move on to the next section. Also, once a side of the clay has gotten a bit dirty, flip sides or wad the clay into a ball and flatten it again before using it on more of the car.

7. Clean (if necessary), polish, and wax vehicle.

Remember to make sure that the paint surface is cool, that you use LOTS of lubrication, and that you don't press too hard when using the clay. By doing any of these three things, that may cause the clay to stick on the paint and leave little smudges. The clay can be used on a wax or unwaxed surface. Be aware that it will remove wax, so you will need to re-wax the car after using the clay.

Water spots that have etched into the paint can certainly be hard to remove. Sometimes they can be so etched into the paint that the only way to remove them is by buffing them out with a high speed rotary buffer. However, before going through all that, you can first try a product by hand or orbital buffer that may be able to eliminate those spots. The product I recommend that you use is called ScratchX. This product is a non-abrasive paint cleaner that is safe for all paints and very effective for removing blemishes in paint like water spots, stains, oxidation, etc. Simply use a nickel size drop of the Scratch-X to work a two foot by two foot area at a time. Work the product in circular and linear motions for approximately twenty to thirty seconds per section. For best results, use this product on the entire car and be aware that more than one application may be necessary for the removal of all of the defects.

If Scratch-X or Clay do not remove all of your water spots, you will most likely have to remove the defects with a machine. That is when it can get "messy".

Tim Larson
    Meguiars Customer Care Rep
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1-800-854-8073 ext. 169
    Tlarson@meguiars.com

Comment

ScratchX also removes wax, so if you use it you will need to wax again.
      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Thanks for the info I will use it when i encountr this again. How can clay a car with out putting scratches into the finish if its windy and theres no way to hide the car?

Comment

Originally posted by jrmintt1 View Post
          Thanks for the info I will use it when i encounter this again. How can clay a car with out putting scratches into the finish if its windy and theres no way to hide the car?
          Well you probably can't.

We don't make products that stop or wind, nor do we manufacture the items you would need to build a garage , maybe Lowe's for this second one, as for stopping the wind, you're on you own on that one...

Maybe you could borrow some wind block by parking on the downwind side of a large building?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
            ScratchX also removes wax, so if you use it you will need to wax again.
            Clay will too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Well you probably can't.

We don't make products that stop or wind, nor do we manufacture the items you would need to build a garage , maybe Lowe's for this second one, as for stopping the wind, you're on you own on that one...

Maybe you could borrow some wind block by parking on the downwind side of a large building?
              sory just laughing ^-^
              alberto gorin
              known as gorin002

Comment

Well can you please tell that to my boss!!!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');