• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#7 and NXT--A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #7 and NXT--A Question

I've been reading that NXT wax has mild cleaners in it. Consequently, how does it work over a pure polish like #7 (or #81)? A Meg phone tech recommended using #7 prior to NXT, and I like the idea of the wetness that #7 will add. But if NXT has cleaners, won't it diminish the effect of #7?

What about #21? Does it have cleaners too?

Re: #7 and NXT--A Question

Originally posted by FX35 View Post
    I've been reading that NXT wax has mild cleaners in it. Consequently, how does it work over a pure polish like #7 (or #81)? A Meg phone tech recommended using #7 prior to NXT, and I like the idea of the wetness that #7 will add. But if NXT has cleaners, won't it diminish the effect of #7?

What about #21? Does it have cleaners too?
    Hopefully someone will chime in on this because I got the same Rx over the phone, #7 followed by NXT. I haven't done it yet because I'm going to buy a PC before I do it.

Comment

Ive heard Mike mention it in the past... but I believe a lot of being able to use a product like NXT over #7 will depend on how you apply the NXT. Meaning the NXT cleaners are so slight that if you apply NXT with little to barely any effort it shouldnt be a problem.
      ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
      561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
      --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
      --

Comment

I had the same question as you guys.I've read throught so many threads and could never get a straight answer. Obvoiusly, NXT has cleaning qualities to it so I can only assume it will somewhat remove some of the #7. It might only be very little but why chance it after taking the time to apply and remove #7. What I ended up doing was using NXT before #7 then topped it with 2 coats of #26. I like #26 but you guys can use any other Meguiar's Wax or Sealant on top. I also really like #20. All applies with my PC. By the way, I really didn't like the results that I got from NXT but alot of people seem to love it. I like to use #80, them #7 topped with #26 or #20.

Comment

This should help... read the Mike Phillips post, very good explanation: question about nxt cleaning ability

I have not used #7 in conjunction with NXT but I can tell you my experience with NXT over #81 Hand Polish has all been positive and well worth it! It #81 definitely improves the look and NXT doesn't remove the #81, I apply NXT on speed 3 with the finishing pad.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I used #7 and followed with NXT paste 2 weeks ago and it turned out great.
            2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Hey,

Applying a LSP after a pure polish like #7 is perfectly fine. In fact, it looks fantastic especially on darker vehicles. So while NXT does contain extremely mild specialized cleaners, it will not remove the majority of the #7. For years and years, I would always apply, after compounding, #7 topped with #20/#26 combo.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I've been using #7 followed by NXT (x2) ever since NXT was introduced. NXT does not remove enough of the #7 to make any appreciable difference. The look is WET. No bonding issues and the paint is definitely wetter and more reflective with the #7 under the NXT.

1991 Toyota MR2

Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                  I've been using #7 followed by NXT (x2) ever since NXT was introduced. NXT does not remove enough of the #7 to make any appreciable difference. The look is WET. No bonding issues and the paint is definitely wetter and more reflective with the #7 under the NXT.

1991 Toyota MR2

Hey Jim,

I just love this pic! The paint looks wet!!! Excellent!!!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yea, Jim, that paint looks really wet! If that's what the #7-NXT combo looks like, I'm going to be very happy.

Do you work with a machine or by hand? Also, what do you clean your wheels with?

Comment

Onelast question Jim: Do you find #7 difficult to work with? What's your method of applying and removing it? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FX35 View Post
                        Yea, Jim, that paint looks really wet! If that's what the #7-NXT combo looks like, I'm going to be very happy.

Do you work with a machine or by hand? Also, what do you clean your wheels with?
                        Thanks for the kind comments.

I use a G100 for application of cleaners, polishes and NXT Tech Wax and I use microfiber towels for removal by hand. I've been using the G100 for 10 years now and it is the best detailing tool I've ever bought.

My routine is to wash with Gold Class Wash, clay, polish with #80, glaze with #7, then apply NXT Tech Wax Liquid (x2). I do this twice a year, spring and fall. I use NXT Tech Spray booster wax after every other wash.

I use Hot Wheels All Wheel Cleaner. Those wheels have been through 16 harsh Wisconsin winters with a lot of road salt. I apply the same care and treatment to the wheels as I do the paint. NXT seems to deflect brake dust very well.

#7 is not all that hard to work with and I also have used #81 which is a bit easier but if you treat this stuff like a glaze and not an abrasive polish you will be fine. You don't need to work the glaze much just apply it sparingly and evenly. Use a couple towels to remove. One towel to cut the film and pick up the excess and another to gently buff. It is not necessary to be too anal about buffing it all off. Your wax will take care of any extra you may have missed. If you apply too heavily and have some stubborn spots of #7 that are difficult to remove just swipe the area with your applicator again and it will clean it off.
                        Jim
                        My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');