• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they work?

I know that you must let the wax only fully dry before removing.My question is how does the polish and Glaze penetrate the paint?Is the polish/glaze absorbed through the paint.Over time can the paint be over oiled by to much polishing/glazing oils?Joe

Re: How do they work?

This is something I find a bit confusing as well. Does the polish or cleaner go "through" the clear coat to the paint or what? What about the wax, does it not penetrate anything?

Cheers
    Sean

Comment

Clearcoat is paint without pigment. Mike Phillips has stated that products like #7 Showcar Glaze are more effective on single stage paints.

To me, Meguiar's terminology has been a bit confusing. If I'm correct, Meguiar's cleaners have abrasives (I always thought of abraisives being present in polishes and the act of polishing as scraping or abraiding a surface), and Meguiar's "pure polishes" have no abraisives, just oils to enhance gloss.

( I may be confusedon Meguiar's syntax, but I watched and learned from Mike and just follow his directions for great results.)

Comment

Its not so much penetrating deep into the paint. It is more replacing oils lost at the surface and filling in those "holes" to restore the shine/gloss, and prevent dirt getting down into the paint. It might also help keep other oils from "leaving", but not sure.

While you always wipe off excess polish, you should notice there is more excess on newer paint that hasn't lost any oils from the surface yet.

And wax is left on top of the paint, not in.

And different companies use different terminology, so it is best to just learn what each product does, not get messed up in fancy terms. Remember Nu-Finish car polish is a cleaner/wax in Meguiar's terms.

And yes, all of Meguiar's cleaners have at least very mild cleaners.

Hope that helps a little.. and hope that I'm mostly corect...
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Polish fills in those microscopic imperfections in the clear coat.

Wax just sits on top like a shield, to protect your polished paint. It creates surface tension, which is why water beads up when it hits it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringwraith View Post
            This is something I find a bit confusing as well. Does the polish or cleaner go "through" the clear coat to the paint or what? What about the wax, does it not penetrate anything?

Cheers
            Sean
            No.

When it comes to clear coat paints, the answers to these questions have in part to do with the condition of the paint. New paint, whether a new car or a new paint job is very impermeable, that is not open. As paint becomes older and is subjected to wear and tear, it becomes more permeable.

So products like pure polishes penetrate into permeable paint better than impermeable paint. Do a search trying either of these words or both, we've written on them in the past.

Click here to search

Copy and paste these two words and "Search entire posts"

impermeable permeable

Hope this helps...
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');