• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing, colder temps and sunlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing, colder temps and sunlight

I've read the "Temperature and Humidity" auto FAQ, but it doesn't directly address my question.

The last time I waxed this year (Quik Wax, 50 degrees, unknown humidity but maybe a little on the 'damp' side) it took over 2 hours to dry before I could remove it. After 2 hours there were still areas not fully dried where I removed it anyways (time constraints and was getting dark!) and ended up with streaking. Was cloudy out, and I stayed under the carport the entire time.

Today, is *supposed* to reach 53 degrees, which means maybe it will hit 50 again. Don't know the humidity, but it is nice and sunny. Can I apply some ColorX to car under the carport, then move the car out into the direct sunlight to help drying process if it's taking a terribly long time again? Or is that not recommended? The sun's not very hot at this temperature and I wouldn't think it would hurt to help speed drying time, but wanted to check in first. Thanks!

Re: Waxing, colder temps and sunlight

Its all about surface temperature, not that the sun is shining on the wax or not.

So you will get a big difference in surface temperatures between a sunny day in Pittsburgh in winter and a sunny day in SoCal in June.

So yes, you are ok to pull it out, even do it all in the sun, you might get a nice surface temp to work on the whole time then.

Incidently, Quick Wax took 2 hours to dry? And you didnt apply too thick?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yep, 2 hours to dry. I can't tell you if I applied too thick a layer---but I can tell you that I applied it the same way I used it all summer, when it took less than 10 minutes to dry. Like I said, that day was under 50 degrees, cloudy and damp outside. I just don't think it was a good day to do anything to the car at the time, especially wax.

Thanks for the suggestion for today! Temp hovering around 40 right now. I might just put the ColorX on parked out in the sunlight, like you mentioned, because it's sure not warming up very quickly out there!

Comment

Just feel the paint with your hand.. if it is comfortable for your hand, it is probably comfortable for the wax, though a little cooler isnt bad, a little hot can be a pain.

As far as the wax, it does sound like it is a bit thick.. the spray waxes really dont need more than 5 minutes in decent conditions, but of course how ideal your area was is anyones guess.

You really should be able to only slightly see it when it is applied, if that is any help. Not sure if there are any pics in this thread or not.

How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes
        Last edited by Murr1525; Nov 22, 2006, 08:28 AM.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just an F.Y.I, I just picked up a non-contact thermometer at harbor freight for $10. Works great for checking the surface temperature.
          Scott

Comment

Im also in Michigan!
            Just waxed my truck today with #26 out in my driveway. No cover from the sun. Went extremely well.

Comment

Surface temp will also vary greatly depending on what color the vehicle is - white of course will stay cooler while a black car will become very hot in the sun. I've noticed that when humidity is high the wax may still wipe off but will leave streaks. If you are going to wax anyway and you have a D.A. Polisher, try putting a microfiber bonnet on there and using the D.A to remove the wax. A little extra warmth from the polisher may help.
              -------------
              John 17:3
              -------------

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');